Dental Health Expert Forum
deep dental cleaning 2 weeks ago gum still swollen and painful

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Approximately 3 weeks ago I had an abcess (abscess) on my lower left tooth. My dentist put me on antiobiotics for 7 days. I went back a week later for a deep cleaning on my lower left quadrant. I was told to rinse with warm water and salt and to massage the gum. I was also told that it would take about a week to heal. After a week my gums were still swollen and painful.... I then called my dentist and he said that it was normal and sometimes it takes more than a week to heal and not to worry. Well, it is now two weeks after the procedure. Some days it looks like it's healing and other days it's swollen to the touch. The tooth that was originally acessed looks worse. It is red and inflamed looking.... doesn't look like it's improved much. If it is infected wouldn't it be super painful? or have pus around It? doesn't hurt the way it did before I took the antiobiotics Should I wait a little longer to see if it improves? Why is it not healing? When I went in with the abcessed tooth my dentist said I should be checked for diabetes, because two years prior I had another abceesed tooth! I mentioned that I had a complete physical, which included blood work....which was done 2 weeks prior and everything checked out fine! my glucose level was about 104 a little high, but my doctor didn't think anything of it.  Anyhow, my question is how long does it take for the swelling to go down completely? How do I tell if it's infected? It's slightly red, but not as painful? If  it doesn't healsoon what could this be? should I see my Dr.? or specialist for my teeth? Help need your advice.

Thank You,
Gina
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds like you should be consulting a periodontist. Chronic gum infections will certainly lead to bone loss and further and more difficult problems.
you really shouldnt have the symptoms you are complaining about after 2 weeks. if your abcess (abscess) was due to periodontal issues, you should probably see a periodontist at this point. abcesses can also be relatd to the nerves in the teeth, in whch case a visit with an endodnontist is in order. But again, if you are having issues with the gum tissue throughout your mouth, I'd see a perioontist. I doubt this has anything to do with a blood sugar of 104.
Dentist said to wait  2 more weeks???  It's a gum abcess (abscess)...He also said to build  up my bodies resistance by eating a lot of vitamin c.  It's just the gum under the tooth that's bothering me (looks like the gum is pulling away from my tooth) it doesn't  really hurt or  throb only when  I press on it.  He said if it's still bothering me after 2 weeks I will need a stonger antibiotic????????  I'm confused.  Does this sound right?
it all sounds a little "off" to me. i'd go see a periodontist if I were you. it certianly cant hurt.