Dental Health Expert Forum
dental cement allergy

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

dental cement allergy

what are the symptoms if an individual is possible allergic to the temporary cement used on temporary crowns?  I have pain, irritation and nerve pain  around area where temp crown was placed, as well as the lip and chin for 28 days..  I have had a steriod pack which releved it but discomfort resumed a few days later.   In the past, a temp crown was removed after 5 days of constant pain and area under crown was blistered.
Tags: allergic
Generally with pain/swelling in the area of a crown, my first initial guess would be a poor fitting temp causing foot entrapment or leaking that is causing the symptoms.  The fact that your lips and chin has well though worries me.  Have they removed the temp cement at this point in time and replaced it with an alternative?  If they have, the symptoms should stop at that time.  Otherwise, it may not be an allergic reaction but something else.  Perhaps your dentist may want to refer you to a dentist that specializes with pathology of the mouth.

the dentist feels it's not an allergic reaction and has not removed the temp crowns.  She has been doing acupuncture. I've had 3 sessions and am scheduled for one more.  The problem is not as severe but is still present.  I also had 4 implants placed 2 on lower right and 2 on lower left.  A bridge was removed and one tooth extracted then temp bridge put on.  the implants are not bothering me just the teeth, gums lip and chin around the bridge.  I explained to her that I had trouble with the cement in the past.  And currently have reactions to any adhesive tapes.  She is delaying puting the permanent bridge on until this problem resolves.  But, if it is the cement then the problem won't be resolved.
That's interesting. Can she perhaps switch to another cement. I agree with your doctor that the symptoms should be resolved before placement of the final restoration.  

Maybe she needs to adjust the bridge to make sure its not rubbing your chin/lip area?  

I'm not familiar with acupuncture and its use in dentistry.
thank you for the info.  The dental work was done using acupuncture.  I will discuss the problems with her at my next visit.  Again, thank you.
You're welcome.  I hope everything turns out great.
A related discussion, Dental Cement toxicity, more biocompatible under way? was started.
A related discussion, Myalgia nausea sleepiness  for days after temp crown was started.