Dental Health Expert Forum
dental crown problems

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

dental crown problems

I had a molar prepared for a crown three weeks ago. I was unable to chew on the temporary crown for the entire time because it hurt and felt like I was chewing on tin foil. There is hot and cold sensitivity but my teeth are sensitive anyway. The real problem is that I can't chew without discomfort. My dentist saw me twice and said that the tooth should 'settle down' and that my nerve was 'irritated.'
She placed my permanent on with temporary cement a couple of days ago but there was no change..I still can't chew. Everyone I talk to, including my parents's dentist, say that I should not have this much pain when I chew. I can bite my teeth together with no pain but once there is food in there...OUCH!
My dentist did not schedule me to see her for two weeks. Frankly I don't understand the logic is making me wait another two weeks with this discomfort??? Is this normal?I don't know what to do but I am rapidly losing my trust that my dentist knows what she is doing. Should I ask for a referral to a specialist at this point. Please help..I am really stressed about this.
Thank you for your time
H
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I too agree that there is too much discomfort at this point. It sounds like the crown is loose or not fitting correctly. At this point you should be able to bite on it. Certainly you are not going to permanently cement it with these symptoms. I don't know what kind of specialist you are talking about. If you mean an Endodontist(root canal) it may solve the discomfort but I don't know if the crown is fitting.If you are losing confidence then a consultation with another dentist might be a good idea.
you should insist the dentist see you sooner to check your situation. the nerve could be irritated reversibly or irreversibly. did your dentist check the bite? if you do not have improvement in a reasonable time period, and you are losing confidence due to the answers you are getting, isee nothing wrong with a referral (preferably from a friend) to their dentist to evaluate the situation. if all is well, sensitivity hould not last more than a few days.
Thank you for your response. When my dentist placed the permanent crown on (with temp cement) she checked the bite. I actually asked her to check it again just to be sure and she said it was fine. During the time I had the temporary crown, I went to her office two times for the discomfort and she never adjusted the bite--even though she checked it with the red paper. So when you say, 'ill-fitting', does that mean someting other than the bite? Could she be missing it all these times?
I called an endodontist yesterday and spoke with a woman there who said it sounded as though the tooth might be fractured. I made an appointment with them.
  I will ask the endodontist to make sure the problem is not an ill-fitting crown. Are they good at detecting such problems? Do endodontists make sure that a root canal is needed before they procede?  
Thanks again for your time.
H
remember--- root canal specilaists do root canals. i would see another general dentist (based on a good referral from a trusted friend) before i saw a root canal specialist. or you can do both, but do not let them start a root canal till you get another opinion from a general dentist who does alot of crown and bridge. "Ill fitting" could mean a slew of things from poor margin (edge) adaptation to a crown that simply does not fit well on the tooth....maybe the lab did a poor job. did the dentist have to adjust it alot before it was cemented>???  if so, that's a sign perhaps that it is "ill fitting"...  i still suspect a problem with the nerve in  the tooth, though...... remember god did not intend for teeth to be drilled down. so when this happens, sometimes the nerve can't take it and it lets you know about it. it may be that the nerve is cllose to being exposed-- ie the nerve may be very close to the surface now that the tooth was drilled down....   good luck. this should be your worst problem in life... at least it's correctable.
I
This is an addition to my sad 2 crown story.  My next step is the Attorney General I guess.  Someone has to stop this shoddy dental work.
A related discussion, crown pain was started.
A related discussion, can't find a crown that doesn't hurt was started.