Dental Health Community
dental flipper

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

dental flipper

has anyone had this instead of a fixed bridge,  what can you tell about your experience. I am getting one and questioning decision Thanks
Tags: irritable
Hi there. I had two teeth extracted from failed root canals of a bridge and got a flipper before getting my permanent fixed bridge ( still crossing fingers here ). I HATED my flipper and it was so unbeleivably uncomfortable. It was ugly, bulky, hard to talk with, impossible to eat with, even sucking on a straw could dislodge it, how I don't know as it was tight as heck. Flippers apply pressure to your surrounding teeth and also bony structure, in order to stay put. I actually had to have a root canal on a perfectly healthy tooth that I beleive was getting the bejesus knocked out of it by the flipper. I went away for a long weekend, had not been using the flipper much at all because it hurt, and had to wear it over the vacation (casino, dinner etc.,) I swear it irritated that tooth so badly it died right after that. I went to have the flipper checked beforehand and noone seemed to find anything amiss altho my gums would have huge welts in them after wearing it for only 15 minutes. My advice, stay away from flippers, find a good dentist and get yourself a fixed bridge.
Thanks so much I need 4 front teeth replaced long ugly story  dentist said a permaent
bridge would be hard to support and I should have implant that will take appx 6 mths to a year to prepare for and  flippers are easy breezy I thought not I am going to pass I think
I have been missing my tooth, on the left next to my 2 front teeth, any ways, I have been missing that tooth for years!! I JUST got a flipper this morning and OMG is is uncomfortable! it feels like the tooth that the little wire is wrapped around is dying! and my lisssssp. but i am getting better, (you wanna know what YOU will sound like? ((put your thumb on the roof of your mouth and try to say something))).   BUT on the up side. I dose look really good in my pics!!!! i dont know, i wouldn't suggest this over something permanent. . . . .
I just got a "flipper" a few days ago because I had a tooth extraction (a front tooth) and I am getting an implant.  The implant process is going to be a long journey because I had to get a bone graft for the implant.  It is going to take about 6 months to a year to complete.

Anyways, I like this thing!  It was a bit uncomfortable at first, but the dentist adjusted it for me.  It looks very nice and you can't tell it's a false tooth.  The flipper isn't just cosmetic, it helps your other teeth from shifting while the implant work is being completed.  

I cannot eat with it in my mouth though.  I take it out (it grosses everyone out, hee hee).  Using the flipper is better than running the risk of my teeth moving and having jaw problems as a result.  Plus, I look  ridiculous without my front tooth!
I had to have my four top front teeth out and implants placed.

During the healing time, rather than a flipper, I went the extra money and had a metal removable partial made.  It was WELL worth it.  It looked great and was comfortable right from the start.  I was able to eat anything I wanted with it, too.

They are more expensive, but if you can go the RMP route rather than a flipper, it makes the time waiting for the implants to integrate MUCH easier.

Hope this helps.
Best to you, Gellia
after my dentist took a (several )xrays for reference after cleaning my teeth to prepare for repare of 2 missing teeth ,the next day at home I was eating a piece of taffy and it took a former solid crown on a rear tooth that had been done very solid yeard before an lifted it up off!Iwas  shocked and replaced my self,What would be best thing to do?