Dental Health Community
dental implant causing sinus infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

dental implant causing sinus infection?

Hi all, I hope someone can offer some advice.

About 6 months ago, I had tooth #3 (upper right molar second from back) extracted because it had caused me problems with various infections for over 5 years - I'd had root canal, apecioectomy, etc on it and nothing helped.  It was severely abcessed beforehand.  But the infection seemed to settle down after the extraction, although it never seemed to go completely away - it was still sore and the gums just felt infected still.  But no abcess (abscess), so ... I guess not really a problem.

However, about 4 weeks ago, periodontist said it was okay to go ahead with bone graft / implant.  I mentioned my concern to him beforehand about the fact I still felt like the site was infected.  He basically shrugged it off and said it wasn't a problem.  The implant itself was awful - he couldn't get me completely numb, I was crying by the end because it hurt so bad but he didn't want to stop at that point.  Within two days I was in excruciating pain, starting in my jaw and radiating back to my ear, temple and back of my head.  My ear felt like it had an ice pick stuck in it.  He prescribed an anbitiotic which I managed to take for 3 days before having a problem with it (my stomach felt like it was being burnt).  But it did help the pain tremendously - and as soon as I stopped the antibiotic it came back, in force.  2 Vicadin barely cut the pain.  He prescribed different antibiotic - we went through this about 4 times. where as soon as I stopped the antibiotic, the pain came back... and sometimes it came back without me even getting the whole round of antibiotics finished.  

Went to oral surgeon who removed the implant, hoping that was source of infection.  It was not - although it was "goopy" at the bottom, which meant it probably wouldn't have taken anyway, it didn't relieve the pain or infection.  Went next to endodontist, who recommended doing root canal on tooth #2 in back, because it was suspicious and severely reactive to cold.  They did that as well - that was the same time I went to ENT though, see below, so I started current round of antibiotics and had root canal done at the same time.

ENT did a CT scan and it showed a small infection in sinuses, so he prescribed new round of very strong antibiotics - doxycycine 2x daily.  I am on day 5 of those and am barely tolerating them - they make me extremely nauseous and I also have to take benedryl with them because I showed some sign of being allergic (2 small hives and an itchy throat).  But I am getting them down.  Even so, even though the pain went away within 24 hours of starting doxycycline, I still feel so much pressure in my ears and teeth - it feels like the minute I go off this, the infection will come back, if not sooner.  And today, my teeth #4,5,6, are starting to hurt, which they never have before.  

My question is, can having an implant done with bone graft affect the drainage and /or circulation of the sinuses?  My understanding is when they do the bone graft it pushes up against the sinus cavity.  Can that cause an obstruction that could cause this type of problem?  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

Your problem is best managed by ENT and oral surgeon. If there is no evidence of infection, seeing an orofacial pain specialist is advised.