Dental Health Expert Forum
dental implants

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

dental implants

Has anybody had a tooth implant ? Could you tell me if it hurts? and what it's like? How long does it take ?
Doen the right way you should have no feeling of it being done and with proper protocols the post operative recovery should be uneventfull too.. It is all about preparation..
If it is a good professional office they should prepare you for it and you will be nicely surprised..
Be prepared to be patient.  I would have a root canal any day of the week over having an implant done.  I would never do it again.  The time and expense is not worth the pain, time off from work.  Pick who does very, very carefully.  
Oh sounds horrid maybe i won't after all,and it's expensive.Thanks for that
It's not that bad.  I have had one when I was 16.  Then it rejected (it was not done right) and I am now in the process of having another one put in.  8 months ago they took bone from my chin and put it where the bone loss was (I was hit in the face with a baseball bat).  I have also had to get skin grafts.  One involved them splitting my top lip inside and sewing it to the roof of my mouth to create more skin (it's my front top tooth that's missing).  The other was the opposite.  They sliced the roof of my mouth and sewed it to the front to create more skin.  Yes this is all painful, but worth it.  Next week I get my implant put in with more skin grafts.  This pain will be nothing compared to the chin surgery.  It is so worth it.  The price is expensive but in the long run you will be saving more money.  it costs about $1,500 for the implant and $1,500 for the crowns.  If you think that is expensive, I have put $12,000 for this reconstruction with $4,000 more to go at least.  Don't get hit in the face with a baseball bat :)