dental problems post root canal, biting pain over 1 year,etc
Had a crown put on a broken tooth. After that I had biting pain in one area. Tried new crown etc. Finally had root canal, last january, after root canal had biting pain on all areas of tooth and can even feel something when touching sides and top of tooth. Last molar in back on bottom. I do have tmj, I can feel a high point in that area when I have my mouth closed. Dentist, endo and oral surgeon say they see no high spots, so I guess I must be crazy, it's only my mouth! Best of all, I saw the endo again and he basically told me it's all in my head, the xrays are beautiful, to go ahead and eat on that side (SURE!!) and get the permanent filling put in by my regular dentist. I believe he needs to go in there and check it or I need to see a tmj or some kind of specialist ( I did  see a tmj/oral surgeon here, but he said to see the endo, to either redo the root canal or have it pulled, didn't even do a tmj workup on me)> Now, why are these drs. just passing me by and I have been in discomfort for 1 1/2 years. I don't know what to do. I have spent thousands already and if I get a second opinion from another endo what will that cost? Can anyone help me with getting my original endodontist to open up this tooth and use the magnifier to check for cracks or is there another specialist I should see. I am going crazy here! I can't belive all the trouble I am having trying to figure this out on my own and I can't believe my endos advice. He came highly qualififed and the root canal was fast easy painless with great xrays but I can not eat on that tooth! Help me please. M
Hi, glad to hear the throbbing is normal. Yes, I have an extremely hard time around here with the medical professionals. I think we get the bottom of the barrel, at least 80% of the time. I actually really like my regular dentist. I just don't know about the occlusion. I will ask him if he thinks an ortho would be someone to see. He also has no problem with second opinons or seeing a specialist. ... The aching and terrible pain has gone away.. My problem now is the other teeth hitting just from closing the mouth and eating on the other side. I dread this dental stuff. I had no problems up until a few years ago.   How are you feeling? Keep me posted. Have a good day. N
Can your regular dentist actually locate exactly where the teeth are hitting, or is he stumped?   Just out of interest, where do you live?    I ask because you mentioned you "have a hard time around there with medical professionals and having the bottom of the barrel".    That's great that the pain from the extraction has subsided....must be a huge relief.   As for me I'm still chugging along......today marked 7 weeks since I had the first visit with the endodontist.   Still got the final visit to go, but he wants to see me in a month to take xrays and see if everything's settled before he goes ahead and finishes the job and puts the permanent filling on.   Still deciding whether to contact my dentist and see if the back cusps on this tooth need filing down.   They seem to be a little bit higher than the front cusps (facing my lip), and when I touch the back cusps they're still a bit sensitive even after all this time.   This may be what's stopping me being able to chew comfortably.   I'm wondering if the crown can actually dislodge itself and move up ever so slightly on one side.  You'd think after two root canals being done, I wouldn't be able to feel any sensation at all in any part of the tooth.   Totally weird.   I thought that might be why I can feel something being hit by the tooth above.

When you had the extraction, did you have IV sedation or did they just numb the area?   Did you feel anything while they were pulling it out?    I've happily given birth to two babies without any pain relief whatsoever, but when it comes to having a tooth pulled I'm kind of a bit nervous (if it comes to that).   Here's hoping it doesn't.
I see my regular dentist next week. I live approx 1.5 hours from a large(er) city. Not NYC large just average large. Not a lot of specialists here either.....It that usual to take so long between endo visits? I had the whole root canal in one day , took about an hour and half. You should have your regular dentist take a look at the cusps, what have you got to lose (except $$) . I had biting pain and when I touched the tooth or the surrounding gums it was senstive. Not pain but  not normal. One of the reasons I had it pulled. Do you feel sensations when you touch the top, sides and gums arounds the tooth?..... I had novacaine for the pullling. I am big sedation phobe. The novacaine needles were pretty uncomfortable and I think they contributed big time to the pain/discomfort afterward. The pulling itself was about 1 minute and very easy. Even though the needles hurt I would not get knocked out. I am very anxious about that. Don't be nervous about getting a tooth pulled. But I would go to an oral surgeon who specializes in it.  I thought I felt something this morining under my chin (directly under the molar area) when I stretched my neck and I tried to feel for a node but I am squemish about it, so I'll have to have the dentist check this out to. Great. I wish the oral surgeon would have checked these things. You would think, him being a medical dr. would check the lymph nodes of a complaining patient! Keep me posted. N
When my regular dentist did the original root canal he did a stage every couple of weeks.    It took 3 visits to him because the tooth has four canals with one of the roots being blocked and curved slightly.   However when the tooth wasn't settling after the third visit, the endo took over to redo the whole thing and he only wants to see me for 2 visits, each lasting 45 mins because he's so experienced with this type of situation with blocked canals and curved roots.   But on the other hand, because the tooth had been so upset by the first root canal, he did the first stage and wanted it to REALLY settle completely, before the final stage was done, and he wanted the settling period to be around 12 weeks long.   I understand what you're saying about my dentist looking at the cusps.   I probably should talk to him about them but everytime someone went near it with a drill of any sort, I would spend 2-3 weeks in agony afterwards.   I'm just soooooo happy to not have that terrible aching pain at the moment and I'm afraid it will happen again if he goes near it :(  

I used to have a sensation when I touched the very back of the tooth (the side facing my throat) but now I can touch it there and it feels absolutely fine.   I can run my fingers over the cusps and not feel much, it's mainly if I put a lot of pressure on them that they start to feel irritated, which may be the occlusion thing that needs fixing.   The slightly sunken bit where the temporary filling is at the moment (I guess I'd call this the top of the tooth) seems to feel ok when I touch it and the gums either side of it have never been sore or tender.   However, the front of the tooth definitely has a sensation when I run my finger over it (the side facing my lip), which from memory was the same sensation I used to have on the back of the tooth but this has now completely gone away.

Wow you were so lucky to have your tooth come out within 1 minute.   I've heard horror stories where the dentist has to almost "swing" on them for up to 5 minutes....... eeeeeek.    If my tooth had have been a very back molar then I think I would have done what you did......had it out.   Mine's second to back and it's a whopper !   Even looks bigger than the very back molar.   The hole it would leave would be fairly large.   I had to have 4 premolars extracted (2 top and 2 bottom) when I was very young, all because they could see my molars were going to be biggies and there was not enough room.   So I'm desperate to hang on to this big guy if I can.

Keep me posted about what your dentist says at your next visit.   Take care :-)

Good luck with this tooth. If you do have to have it pulled, please think of an oral surgeon. I believe in going to a dr. who specializes in things. Also, since this a tooth in the middle of other teeth, if you did get it pulled at least you get a bridge and not have to think of an implant. Which, in my opinon, sounds horrible. Wow, you really had a lot of work and trouble on your tooth also. It is very stressful , isn't it? Keep me posted. N
Hi Angel16809, are you still reading this post? I had my bite adjusted by the dentist and while I don't feel the biting "pain" by just putting my teeth together I do feel it if I hit it in a certain way if I eat on  that side. I am now devastated. I don't know what is going on. The mystery has moved into the tooth next to the one I had pulled. I am no where near sure that these professionals took enough time and care to figure out what was the problem originanlly and I am back to eating on that side. It cost me thousands of dollars to try to save the tooth  only to have it pulled and my problem is still there. I am beyond depressed. If anyone finds a great dentist, endodontist or oral surgeon, send him/her flowers. N
Yes yes yes I'm still here :-)   I look at this site daily but I haven't written about my tooth lately until I see my endodontist again next month.   Oh wow I feel so bad for you after reading your post :-(   Has the dentist examined the tooth next to the one you had pulled to see if he can find a problem?   Could it be that your bite needs to be adjusted even further maybe?   I'm at a loss as to what to suggest :-(    Are you saying you can't chew at all on that side again?   If the tooth next to the pulled one is preventing the chewing, then is it possible it needs a root canal?   I'm so sorry to hear you're still going through so much trouble after the extraction should have fixed the problem.   One other question, you said it was a very back molar that you had pulled.....was this molar a wisdom tooth?
I can't even bear to think about this! Another root canal,now that I don't trust them. And possibly throwing thousands of dollars away again. And if it fails,  have 2 holes in my mouth? Get an implant and have them drill in my jaw! Not trusting dentists anymore! The incredible pain of the extraction! I could scream!...Also, I will find when I wake up every now and then it is another tooth that feels like it is hitting. I really feel my bite is messed up and I can't get a competant person to help me. I am frustrated and devastated. The oral surgeon should have done a more thorough job checking me out,  I haven't even had a recent xray though I had many done on that side a while ago. Of course the radiation scares me too. I just don't know what to do next. I didn't know I would have such problems with dentists. I'm used to the dr.s not caring! The molar I had pulled was the one next to the wisdom tooth (all my wisdom teeth have been pulled years ago). Please let me know how it goes for you. Thanks for replying. N
It seems like your occlusion hasn't been right ever since that original crown went on all that time ago.   You said in your original post that you had pain after the crown was placed and it never seemed to come right after that.   I noted that scottma answered an earlier post saying that a well-trained occlusionist would need to check it out.   There must be one somewhere, problem is where ?!?

Does it feel like the exact same pain you used to have when you were trying to chew on the tooth that has since been extracted?   If it only causes discomfort when pressure is applied from the teeth above then could it possibly be because the remaining molar is now having to cope with more pressure on it because the molar that used to be beside it helping to chew your food has now been taken away.   Seeing as your wisdom teeth have gone, you would only have had the two main molars side by side and now the molar that is left there is having to do the work that two molars used to do.   This theory may not be right at all, but teeth do weird things that's for sure.   Please keep me updated on any new developments.   I check in daily usually.
Hi, Yes it started with the crown on the tooth that is gone. I don't know what an occulsionist is. I was told my regular dentist is the one who fixes the bite , or an orthodontist which doesn't sound right. I dont think occulsionist is even listed on the ADA website. Who I emailed asking for help, by the way, and they never got back to me. Very Angry. If I could have found competetant medical help to look at my mouth/my bite I may not be in this mess. Is t his so damn hard!!!  This biting pain is almost the same. I don't think I have the ache when I touch the gums. I haven't been touching where the tooth was pulled and that area. I haven't been chewing on that side, the pain can't be from that. I feel it when something accidently gets on t hat side or if I have nothing in my mouth but I bite j ust right. I don't know what I am going to do. Have xrays taken at my cleaning next month and see if there are any changes. I just don't understand why they can't figure this out. N
I've been looking on the internet for occlusionists and, lo and behold, there are actual people.   They have to have a Certificate in Occlusion and their official title is, would you believe, Occlusionist.    That must be all they specialize in because I found a dental center that has orthodontists AND an occlusionist, which means he must do different things than a regular orthodontist would do.    Only problem is this place is in Thailand.   Looks fabulous though with soooo many skilled surgeons......and best of all.......an Occlusionist !    From what I can gather, an occlusionist is able to study a person's bite and find out which teeth are hitting each other where they shouldn't be connecting.   They use quite involved tests because they're skilled in this area, whereas a regular dentist often just uses the "paper in between the teeth" check to see if any marks are left on the paper when the bite is released.  In a lot of cases this is usually all that's needed, however in other cases, it needs to be looked at in depth.    An occlusionist can then reshape the teeth even very minutely to release any biting pressure which is not right.

From your reply, it sounds like x-rays are the way to go to see if anything stands out with the tooth that is now feeling pain.   I didn't realize you hadn't been chewing normally on that side yet so I thought it may have been put under excess pressure due to the other molar not being there to help the chewing function.   I wonder if it could be some sort of referred pain from the extraction, if the nerves along there still haven't settled properly.   Here's hoping it either settles or something becomes clear in the x-ray once and for all.    Please keep me posted.
Wow, we have no occlusionists in the phone book and I don't believe they were even listed on the ADA website! Are they a dentist that specializes in one thing plus occlusion? How come my oral surgeon office did not tell me t here was such a thing. Wait, I'm not surprized. I'm going back to the ADA website and seeing if they have a phone number.  I'll let you know what my xrays say. Hope all is well with you. N
I live in New Zealand and I've done a search on the internet for anybody with the title "occlusionist" in the dentistry profession and I can't find any either.   It's interesting that scottma is from Taiwan and it was he who wrote about seeing an experienced occlusionist.   And then I found out about that dental center in Thailand which has occlusionists working there.    Maybe it's a title that's used a lot more in that part of the world.   Seems to be closely connected to the study of orthodontics, although I noticed there were people with the title "orthodontist" after their name and then a different person who had the specific title of "occlusionist", all working at the same office, so there must be a difference in what an orthodontist does compared to an occlusionist, otherwise those people would have shared the same title.   I'm going to email them and ask them what the occlusionist actually does.   They might get all excited and think I'm going to fly over from New Zealand to have work done :-)    I'll keep you posted.
Hey interesting thing.    After I wrote that post above which was about 15 mins ago, I happened to come across a completely different dentist clinic (also in Thailand unfortunately) and this place has THREE specialized occlusionists !   By the looks of it they have to be a DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) and also have gained a certificate in occlusion to be able to have the title of Occlusionist Dentist.   They must have to do a heap more studying on occlusion, but at least we know there are such people out there (just thousands of miles away.......ugh)
Occlusion is not a recognized specialty by ADA. I did'nt coin the term occlusionist or occlusion dentist. These terms are from dental literautres or textbooks. Generally, prosthodontists receive advanced traing in occlusion during post-graduate training.Orthodontist are trained more intensively in alignment of teeth. Orthodontic treatment generally doesn't yield perfected occlusion. In addition, there may be controversy of what criteria of an ideal occlusion are.However, Dr.Peter Dawson 's concept and technique have worked well to solve occlusal problems in my practice. One thing for sure, if the patient has not perveived % comfortable of a restoration, there must be something wrong with the restoration.It's the clinician 's responsibility to correct the error until % comfort is achieved.
Hi, So I guess I have to start calling these dentists and speak to their, usually ignorant , secretaries and see if I can get anywhere. I am so angry I could scream.  Ok, anyway, so you are saying I should contact a Prostodontist not an orthodontist? Any help is appreciated. N
I suppose tmj specialists are also familiar with occlision adjustment or occlusal equilibration.
I saw an oral surgeon who supposedly specialized in TMJ and he was useless. He didn't or wouldn't do a thorough exam , he didn't take any kind of xrays or take any time with me. I truly got the distinct feeling he couldn't wait for me to leave. I don't understand really. Feeling really depressed. N
I'm so sorry for all this happening to you.   It's not right that these people are treating you this way.   It's your mouth so you know if what you're feeling inside is not how it should be and these people don't even seem interested in trying to find a solution, which may be quite a simple fix if only someone would take the time and check it thoroughly.
I agree 100%. What I'd like to  know is why is it so hard to get a doctor to help you these days.!!?? Now I am in agony thinking because of their incompetance I may have had this tooth pulled for nothing! The oral surgeon does not even check to see if it is cracked. I almost feel like suing! I am sick. N
Hi, Is no one here anymore? I have to get an xray on the molar next to the pulled tooth. Because I have biting pain there now. I am freaking out. I prob. need another root canal and I have no faith. I already have a hole in my mouth because 3 dentists could not figure out what the problem was and now I am having trouble in another tooth. What the h***!  I can not believe this. I am so angry the oral surgeon did not take an xray and then did not even check the tooth after it was pulled. You put your trust and your life in these people's hands and they do not do their job? N
I'm still here, I'm still here :-)   Haven't made many posts recently because I've been away for a while but I came on tonight and saw your latest posting.  OMG do you think this means that the problem tooth may have been the tooth right next to the pulled one that was causing you discomfort all along?   You may find that if you do get a root canal done on this other molar that it ends up fixing your pain and discomfort once and for all.   I sincerely hope so, even though it will be a nuisance to have to have another root canal done on a molar :-(

As for me I go back to my endodontist in 10 days time and he'll finish off the root canal he started 4 months ago (hopefully).   Long time to wait but I am actually chewing again on the tooth.....only complaint is it's still a bit sensitive running along the very back top edge of the tooth (facing my throat).  Then as it starts coming around on the front top rim (facing my lip) it feels absolutely fine.  I'm assuming that's because the tooth is ever so slightly higher at the back and I'm hoping he can file it down so both the front and back sides are even.   If he doesn't think this suggestion will fix this sensation, then I'm not sure if he will want to finish the treatment and put the permanent filling on in 10 days.   He's told me he wants the tooth to feel absolutely 100% before he continues with any kind of treatment.

Let me know the outcome of your xray.......it'll be interesting to see if it reveals anything.
Hi thanks for replying! I hope that the root canal solves the biting problem. I am just so very depressed and angry that I had that other molar pulled and not one of the dentists th ought it could be coming from another tooth. Though I did have biting pain in that molar and I don't see how that can be referred. I am hoping , and this sounds crazy, that that tooth had a crack and it needed to be pulled. Otherwise I went through thousands of dollars, loads of stress and lots of pain for nothing. And now I have no tooth!  I am just going to get the xray & root canal although I have to pray to God to help me not procrastinate as long on this one. I have to find another endodontist too because I would never go back to the guy who was so sure his root canal was perfect and I should not have it pulled. (though he never told me what I SHOULD do or what the problem was) What is wrong with drs. these days? Grrrrrr.... I have been so stressed I can't fuction.  I"ll keep you posted and please do the same. I hope all works out for your tooth also. Thanks again. N
Have you found a dentist yet that you're satisfied with.  What state are you in because there's an excellent near by were I live.  He's high tech when looking at the teeth or an individual tooth.
No, I'm in a rural area and the endo I went was over an hour away because we don't have one here. One oral surgeon is nearby but he did not help me, I don't believe I got  the attention or care that I should have. N
Hi there......just a quick question.   You know when you still had the molar that ended up being extracted, were you able to ever chew comfortably on it after you had the root canal done or did it always hurt when you tried to chew anything directly on that tooth?
HI, After I chipped that now extracted molar, I had a crown put on. After that it hurt to chew esp. in one spot on the molar. The dentist tried re doing the crown, filing it down etc. It also was sensitive all around the gum area when I touched it. But the consensus was from 3 or 4 different dentists that it must be cracked.   Just a note. Now I  am having  pre root canal symtoms, biting pain and veeeerrry slight "ache" in the molar next to the extracted one. I am seriously angry, annoyed and down about this. Also, I got the impresssion I was supposed to have an xray on this tooth to see if it was showing any pre root canal problems. Now the dentist tells me the xray won't show anything. So, this is all just a terrible guessing game??? I am so sick over this. N
O my god, just been reading your bad dental history! I have been going through the same **** time as you! for 3years I have been fixing dental problems (tmj/braces/gum grafts) and keep needing to do one thing because of the side sffect of  other treatment( needed gum graft because the braces caused it!) so now after 3 years of hell ,ive  had a root canal on back tooth, my tooth hurts like hell(after having it done 10weeks ago),I cant touch it  or bite on that side, i get worse pain that I have ever had in my life, and  my dentist says i cant see a problem, the treatment looks great(with an anoying smile on his face), I go back nearly every 2 a week,he acts  like im a pain not in pain (even the receptionist are treating me like a time waister! I dont know what to do anymore I have spent so much on my teeth,all my friends and family think I have become obbsessed , I cant help it,Im so angry and have no money left and stilll in bad pain ! this problem with the root canal has made my tmj worse,and now  i cant wear my retainer (so my teeth will move back to bad position) I cant belive a root canal tratment is causing so much probs with EVERYTHING. shal I  just take the tooth out, do you think? (mine is in same position as yours so I cant have bridge either!!!
Yeah I think it's one of the hardest things to have to keep getting some professionals to understand that just because something looks ok to them on an x-ray, they look at you as if you're being paranoid or crazy about still being in pain, just because they can't see a logical reason for the pain.   I understand they can't wave a magic wand and make the pain go away but so many seem to belittle the pain that people are still in, even after root canals are done that, to them, look to be "perfect".   Ten weeks is quite a long time to be in such agony with a tooth after a root canal.  If it was only 10 days then I'd say try and hang on a bit longer.   I'm in the process of having a root canal done by an endodontist on a bottom molar and after the first stage of treatment, the tooth was aching constantly for around 18 days but then subsided.   So wow I really feel for you :-(

I guess in the end you have to weigh up if it's destroying your quality of life and doesn't seem to be improving at all even after 10 weeks, maybe it's time to have it taken out.   Good luck with it all.
Hi Bwgw, So sorry you are going thru this also. I am literally sick over this. I am seeing a prosthodontist for an evalution soon. I had the xray done by my dentist and he sees no problem with the tooth. Could be bite, trauma (of which I don't recall ever having any jaw trauma). SO, I am going to try yet another doctor. Please wish me all good things on this as I do for all of you. This is crazy and I can not take much  more of this.  As for your post root canal pain, give it more time and then get some more opinions,  a GOOD oral surgeon, prothodontist and endo, hopefully you will have better luck than I did...........N
Hiya nomorenicknames......just wanted to let you know I had the final treatment by my specialist on this big old molar of mine yesterday.   So far so good.......haven't had to take any painkillers at all yet......no aching or anything!   Still, early days yet, I'll probably be too frightened to even touch it for the next few weeks after all the drama I've had with it.   Keep me posted on your progress.
Hi Angel16809, Good luck to you.....I saw the prosthodontist. He thinks this could be a clenching/bruxism problem but who knows I may need a root canal down the line and that one could fail also and wind up pulling it out. I knew all this and it doesn't make me happy. I just want it all to get better. So, now I have to get my night guard (which I hate, I couldn't wear it , it's uncomfortable and makes you drool) adjusted and my tooth adjusted. Give it some time and see if it help. My mind knows that the medical profession is a LOT of guessing but I am getting tired of it, you know.......N
hi, I have just had another ffilling put on my root canal tooth! the dentist  says that im uniqe and thats why im having so much problems (typical!) and I will have to wait a few months to see if it settles, im willing to do this although its hard,im taking arnica (ive heard it helps!) and my dentist hs given me another night mouthguard,I really hope this works as its cost me loads of money, if not Im will take the tooth out, for its all im thinking about at the moment, and want to end this nightmare!! I really feel for you also and wish you  a lot of luck  and hope you r problems will end to , bwgw
hi, i havent been om computer for a while, just a quick note to say thanks for the advice and luck before, and hope that e,thing is still going fine for you ,bwgw
HI ! dont know if you are still on this!!!! JUst thought I would let you know that, y.day(still in lots of pain!!!!) I went to dental hospital , I usually go there for something else( braces not root cannal!) though I asked him to have a look on my root cannal as they have bigger xray photos there! he said that e,thing looks fine , although a tiny bit of filling material had slipped in the gap where they took out the root, he said that this is very hard to spot on normal xrays!! and this problem causes a lot of pain, especially when you bite or touch it!!!  HOw r u anyway?
Hi, I can't wear the bite guard , it is too loose. I feel something is wrong but I don't know what. I feel like when I floss the floss goes way deeper into those teeth on that side t han anywhere else although I had it measured a while ago and the pockets were ok, I'll have to bring this up to the dentist. I am just totally depressed over this and don't know what to do next. I'm afraid there is a abcess forming or I have something that can't be seen on xrays. I feel something along the gumline at times. Every sx is come and go except the biting issue and extreme cold senstivity. I also feel that the hole where the tooth was pulled may be sensitve to hot and cold. n
Hi there!  I just per-chanced on this website because I have a surgical procedure that has to be done on my tongue.  I started reading this thread and I was shocked at how similar a problem we both have.  I had a root canal done over 20 years ago.  I actually have several root canals.  However, this particular one was fine for several years and then suddenly I started to have pain in the tooth whenever I put pressure on the tooth.  It is on the left side of the lower jaw and it is the second to the last molar.  This problem would come and go for several years.  Then about a year ago, the problem started again and it is still a problem.  I had the tooth checked and I'm told it is a "perfect" root canal.  Quite frankly, I thought the crown was causing the problem, so I had a new crown put on my tooth.  Still I have the problem of pressure.  The tooth is totally fine and pain free, however, I cannot bite on it.  What a waste.  I was considering extracting the tooth, but after reading your posts, I'm not sure.  Maybe that will cause other problems.  NOW, just to boot, I had a root canal done on the other side of my lower jaw, second tooth from the end.  It was done 2 years ago and was fine up until now.  I have the same problem with that too!  Well, needless to say, this is really a pain in the butt.  I try not to stress over it and I keep telling myself that neither tooth will bother me tomorrow.  Oh well!  One thing for sure is that I'm glad that this is real and I'm not the only one with this problem.
I had this problem a few years ago with a root canaled tooth.  Second molar left side bottom.  After a year of horrible pain and many xrays my dentist finally told me it was a "failed root canal" and I had to have the tooth pulled.  One of the tooth roots made a complete right angle and he could not get the nerve out of it.  That was why I continued to have such pain.  So basically, I had RCT that couldn't get all the nerve out.  Pulling the tooth was the only way I could get rid of the pain.  
I hope all on this thread can find some relief from their dental pain.
Gellia
Ive been looking up information on this exact issue all night.  I had a hole in one of my molars 3 years ago that caused pain in my tooth all the way down my neck and into my shoulders and chest.  I had a root canal done and the pain went away.  Then a few months later it came back for a while.  It went away again but has come back and has been hurting me for the past few days.  I am worried about what could be causing the pain.  I really don't want to have another root canal if it's not needed and I'm afraid that it wouldnt even help.  How do they not pull the root out all the way...Isn't that there job...And if they dont do it right then why don't they fix what THEY messed up for FREE!  Im not sure who I should call first...Should I go back to my dentist and have them look it over or should I call someone else?  Im so frustrated with dental work...I HATE having it done!!!  Can your nerve get infected if they mess up a root canal?  And if so how is it fixed?  Could it be something more serious?  Someone pls help me!!!!
my tooth started hurting  today. more than a decade after the root canal. And it started after visiting a dentist and letting him open it to bleach it. Your story has me scared
They should be able to see on an x-ray if the root canal needs to be redone.  I had a root canal done on a bottom back molar 10 years ago and the tooth never gave me a moment's problem after that.  I went for a regular check-up at my dentist and he showed me very clearly on the x-ray that there was infection forming because of a shadow that had appeared underneath one of the roots.  I was in no pain whatsoever but he advised me to have it redone by an endodontist before it got to the stage of becoming painful.  I saw the endodontist and his x-ray equipment was far more high tech and he was able to show me where one of the canals had not been filled right to the very tip all those years ago, which can then start infection later on.  I asked him why I was feeling absolutely no pain at all and he assured me that eventually I would if I refused to get it seen to.  I went down the safe path and got it done before things went haywire.  I'm not saying this is the problem with your tooth......you may have a completely different issue but if a canal is not filled properly right to the very tip, it can sometimes become an issue.  An endodontist is skilled in fixing this.
Hi. I am currently obsessed with my teeth too. I get it. And when I told the dentist it is getting to me emotionally he ignored it like that  meant nothing. I know he is not a nut doctor, but come on! Be human first dudes! Even an "I understand" would have been nice.

They all seem in a hurry to get you out, they all get personally insulted if you have a problem after or during their work, they all block out your concerns and none of them admit they made a mistake. Yeah this is all doctors usually lol
But dentists are terrible for it. Be careful of unneeded dental work!! Think about it, if I sold pink shorts, I would sell the idea to you. I might even say pink shorts are necessary. The OP got a doctor to pull a tooth with no visible problems. He needs a punch in the face!

My ordeal: I thought a strawberry seed ripped out a filling. When  I got food in it, OMG! Yikes that's pain. But brushing made it feel better. Until that stopped working. I was told it was a deep cavity with an infected nerve (top third molar, the one near the front that almost looks ok when removed.. and almost like a hillbillies smile. You know the tooth lol.)
I needed a root canal. He sent me to get my wisdom teeth out in between the first step and permanent filling. Then during healing of a DRY SOCKET he broke the tooth he did a root canal on trying to do something to it, I don't even know, it looks stubbier but is not preped for a crown and still has a high spot that clanks on my bottom tooth lmao.. What else can I do but laugh!!?! It's so silly.
Yep it is broken in half and he used filling to form a tooth and didn't prepare me for a crown. I doubt I even have a post where can he even put it now?

Then he gave me a check up. I have like 10 cavities and a broken root canal with permanent filling. A dry socket that hurts all day. And a different tooth he "fixed" but feels the exact same (the cavity broke off and left an irritated chipped molar).

I got an appointment in 2 weeks, for what? Who the heck knows.. not even them. They are so disorganized and make constant mistakes like a blooper show. They are clowns. But I am afraid to change doctors because what if they next people are brutal AND clowns?
As long as it doesn't get much worse, I will stick with the circus.

P.s. I know this is "old" but Google sends me to this site a lot and I read FULL threads, no matter how old. They comfort me.
Was reading about your long ordeal.  Long story short- I have had TMJ on right side and pain in right upper teeth for a few years.  After asking dentist for the last 3 years of checkups to check why I might be having pain, he said I needed a root canal and sent me to an Endo.  I thought finally some relief.  But soon after I had it done I had the feeling that he just did it because he didn't have an answer for my pain.  And now I have way more pain but I know it's a little soon so we'll see.  I just can't help but think that the pain in the right jaw and pain in the upper right teeth are related. My MD wants me to see an oral surgeon.
Anyway, I wanted to tell you about an interesting website I found-  www.icnr.com   It's by a Dr. Gerald Smith in Langhorne, Pennsylvania.  There's some interesting stuff about 'occlusion' and 'craniodontics'.  Some of the info on the site may seem a little 'out there' but the Case Studies are very interesting. (I relate with the strained look on the face of the young lady in Case #19)
Dr. Smith is 'a recognized international authority and pioneer in craniomandibular somatic disorders with a focus on resolving chronic pain'.  Supposedly he can help relieve it by means of the Occlusal Cranial Balancing Technique which removes tension patterns within the human skull.  It also talks about an ALF appliance which helps with these tension patterns.
Don't know if any of it is legit.  Am hoping someone on here might know.  I'm not real close but if this dental work doesn't help my pain- my husband said we'll just take a vacation to eastern Pa.  It has been awful living with pain.
Anyone know about this dentist or familiar with craniodontics or occlusal balancing?
Hi nomorenickname!
I hope you are still reading this thread! Have you ever gotten acupuncture done? We have invisible energy lines that blanket and connect our entire body. After reading Mark Breiner D.D.S. 's book Whole Body Dentistry I finally understood why my Mom said to never get a root canal and that after she had a large dental issue her breast cancer started to grow rapidly over night. She died at age 52yrs of cancer. Now this is drastic but when the situation hits so close to home I can not ignore the wisdom that she shared with me. So when I was told I needed a rootcanal I became very aware that I needed to do my research! Whole Body Dentistry will explain why root canals are bad! Oh I have to go sorry! I am late for an appt! I'LL WRITE MORE LATER!
Last year  I had a couple root canals and experienced some tooth sensitivity afterwards. I started using sensodine tooth paste and it seemed to take care of the problem. 6 months ago I went to the dentist for a check up and had a filling. The dentist had to give me three 3 shots of novacane and still it only partly numbed my jaw. I almost cried it was so painful. Just a month ago went back for a couple more fillings. The dentist started working befor the novacane began to have it;s effect. Dang painful.Ever since that check up I've had pain throughout most of the day and night hot and cold sensitivities on most teeth. I started reading about this pain situation and found this blog and the other info below. Read it carefully before you get any teeth pulled and before any root canal work  to make sure it is't this condition.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a natural pain remedy  for Neuroplasticity and sensitization? OK any pain remedy?
http://jada.ada.org/cgi/content/full/140/6/676
http://www.jada-plus.com/cgi/content/full/140/9/1122
hey im a dental assistant and i gotta say it is ridiculous how  many problems you are having with your drs. if you feel like they are refusing you service and you are still paying for the visit write down the name of the dr the office he or she works at and if you can get it their license number and report them to the ADA (American dental association) you can find the number online and as long as you have that information you can file a formal complaint and possibly not even have to pay the bill. I didnt read all of the post sorry but from what i read it sounds like an abscess which you dr should have looked for before any procedure. when you were numbed up did you stay numb for a long time (an hour or more) or was it quick and the numbness went away within 20 mins or so?
I've been having similar problems. I would feel pressure and pain from time to time on the tooth that has the root canal. Sometimes it felt like the tooth was too high but an X-ray showed (and barely noticeable) a small small piece of the nerve left over. The result of that was some infection in the gums that was not visible to eye but only to the X-ray. They told me I have to redo it but that I have to go to a specialist because of the crown over it.
Wow! Do i ever feel your pain! I am so glad that i found this site because i thought I was losing my mind. 1 1/2 years ago I had pain in two back teeth that already had crowns in them. My dentist sent me to an Endontist and i had root canals done on them. Since then I have had pain in both of those teeth every single day. I went back to the endontist and she looked at both of them with a microscope and said everything looked fine but i should have my dentist re-do my crowns. My dentist said the crowns were fin they just needed new filling to fix the hole where the root canal was done. No one wants to hear about my pain. Since January of this year  I had developed extreme pain in my ear on that side of my face and into what i thought were my sinus's. I had a thorough exam by an ENT (who also checked for TMJ) had an MRI and cat scan and fourn no sinus problem or ear problem. He said it has something to do with the nerves in my teeth (probably where i got the root canals). So now I am about to make a new apppointment with a dentist who comes highly recommended and 'hope' that he can help.None of us should be paying this much money to be in pain for all this time. It is such a travesty the way these people pass the buck! good luck to everyone!
Did you ever find anything out?  I had a root canal almost two years ago after having a lot of discomfort for a few years in that tooth. My regular dentist put a crown on it.  For the past two years this tooth has bothered me and I went to see the dentist who did the root canal four times.  It changed my bite, so I have discomfort from that, as well as it beginning to affect my other teeth.  The dentist kept saying that it looked fine and I should give it some time.  I have a new general dentist who thought that it may have a crack in it even though he couldn't find one on the 3D x-ray.  He said that some cracks if in a certain position won't show up on x-rays.  When he pushed on the tooth it was painful and he encouraged me to have it extracted, which I did 10 days ago only to find out that there was NO crack.  Instead I had a failed root canal with infection in one of the roots.  There were other procedures I could have done to possibly save this tooth, but now it is too late.  Reading up on it online it said the the infection can spread to other surrounding teeth and even up into the jaw and other parts of the body.  I think this is what you may have.  I believe that the infection has spread to the tooth in front of the extracted one.  This tooth also has a crown and root canal  which was just done in the past six months, and had begun to feel sensitive the last few months.  Now this tooth is really hurting!  I am so scared that I may have to have another tooth pulled.  Then I won't be able to have a bridge, but will have to have two implants side by side.  This has been a complete nightmare which has changed my life.  The pain is one thing, but then there is the financial aspect which is incredible.  No one understands what this is like unless they have gone through it.    
Found this rather outdated discussion.  But wanted to comment because, I can truly feel your pain and frustration.   I am going through a very similar situation.  Second molar fractured at the gum line in July, 2014.  Had root canal, crown lengthening, and now have a second temporary.  Here it is November,  the dentist is ready to do final restoration.  I am SO close to having the tooth pulled because of percussion tenderness, bite sensitivity, inflamed gums and some jaw swelling.  What is it with these dental specialists giving the brush off?  Yesterday, I finally went to my PCP for an objective opinion.  He is going to consult with an oral surgeon with whom he trusts.  If you still monitor this, I would like to know how you made out.