Dental Health Community
dental work and nerve pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

dental work and nerve pain

The second to the last molar on the right side of my mouth had an old filling and the tooth became sensitive when I would bite down. Just before I went to the dentist it became sensitive to hot and cold. He did a temporary filling putting in something to see if we could calm the nerve down but while he was drilling using a slow deep sounding and vibrating drill. I felt like I was going to have a seizure although I do not have epilepsy. After the appointment I was okay but for the next 72 hours or so the nerve to that tooth continued at first to throb and then the tooth felt better but I noticed things like the the left side of my face to my nose felt it was going numb, similar to when you use novocaine or whatever when you work on a tooth. I also noticed that the weird nerve pain had left the tooth and was moving more toward the back of my head behind my ear and giving me a headache that kind of made me feel shaky. Whenever I push or touch the tooth with my tongue it feels sensitive as if it is movable although I think that is just that nerve. If I tap on the tooth it doesn't hurt but if I push up on it, it does. I did call my dentist and he is not sure what is going on either. I had thought about just having it pulled but now I am a little afraid to have pulled due to the weird symptoms and I am kind of afraid to leave it as it is. I am uncertain as to what is causing this although I did have some neck damage and possible nerve damage a few years back. I am wondering if I have it pulled if it will make the nerve stuff that is going on even worse. Do you have any suggestions that could help me?

Thank You,
Lori

This discussion is related to facial nerve damage after root canal?.
You probably need to see an endodontist for an evaluation and root canal treatment.
Did you ever find anything out? I am having the exact symptoms. I had a root canel and crown put on and she put something in there while preparing to put the crown on that sat me on fire all the way into my brain. It was the worst pain I had ever felt. The next morning my whole face was swallon and infected. They put me on a real strong antibiotic and it burnt my esophagus and I spent two days in the hospital. I am on my 4th antibiotic and it is still bothering me. When I am done with the antibiotic it gets infected again. It stays numb all the way up to my eye.