Dental Health Expert Forum
diabetes and dental care

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

diabetes and dental care

I have Diabetes and severe case of gingivites is there more assistance out there available other then just the measly $1000 coverage from the dental plan.  Arn't they related ?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I am not sure what your question is. I don't know what you mean by aren't they related.
care for your teeth/gums is usually considered dental care and will be covered by you detnal insurance only, regardless of other systemic conditions one may have. You are right when you say gingivitis and diabetes are related, but just because you have diabetes does not mean your gingivitis stems from it. most adults have gingivitis, which is a mild inflammation of the gum tissue. It should be able to be addressed within the parameters of your $1000 maximum. treatment is not that involved. more advanced forms of gum disease involving bone loss and the need for surgery will put you over your $1000 yearly maximum, but yor benefits renew in January most likely so if you need more involved treatment, and your dentists feels some of it can wait till january, you'll save some $$$.surgical treatment and other advanced gum disease treatments are sometimes covered by your regular medical insurance. your dental office should be able to inqire about that,, but so can you by calling your health insuracne company or your benfits coordiantor. be prepared to spend a long time on the phone....
thank you