Dental Health Expert Forum
dry mouth after wisdom tooth extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

dry mouth after wisdom tooth extraction

I had my upper and lower wisdom teeth extracted from one side of my mouth 8 weeks ago. I had dry socket in the lower for about 2 weeks.I have had a dry mouth comtinually since the extraction -I dont think my salivary glands are working- Is there some mishap that could have occurred during the extraction that is casuing me to have serious dry mouth?
Thank you
Tricia
Tags: dry mouth after wisdom teeth e
Also, have you gone back to the dentist or oral surgeon who removed the wisdom tooth?  Any other symptoms such as bad taste, swelling on your cheek area, etc?  Changes in medication?
no changes in meds- I have been tested for diabetes-I am going to an ENT to see if he can tell if the oral surgeon damaged my salivary gland-I have not gone back to the oral surgeon becasue I dont trust him but I will go for a follow up once I get a better handle on what has happened from another doctor.
To remove the wisdom tooth, your dentist will open up the gum tissue over the tooth and take out any bone that is covering the tooth. He will separate the tissue connecting the tooth to the bone and then remove the tooth. Sometimes the dentist will cut the tooth into smaller pieces to make it easier to remove.