Dental Health Expert Forum
dry socket lasting forever !! extraction over 2 weeks ago

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hi. I had my bottom molar removed on the 10th of february and got caught by dry socket i was placed on anti biotics for 5 days and i had the socket packed 3 times a week for 2 weeks. The last packing was last friday and i could feel the pain subsiding once i had the dressings changed altho after a few hours it would return... however now without the dressing im feeling worse than ever im in more pain than i was the entire time last week, my face is quite swollen again and i have a bump in the area where my tooth was. I cannot eat much other than porridge or it has to be liquidised but to be honest im in so much pain im not getting hungry. My dentist advised me last week that if i was still in pain then to go back at the end of this week and he would numb the area and have to go back in, i have no idea what he means by this as he did not elaborate further could anyone shed some light on what he means? Also is it best me waiting or going back sooner im in horrendous pain and i have a horrible taste in my mouth, is waiting going to make it worse?

Thank you. Caroline.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Go back and have it lookmed at again.  Either the surgeon will place more packing or if deemed necessary, will numb the area and treat surgically as needed.  By waiting, you're not making it worse, but you shouldn't have to be in such pain.
I just went through that exact same thing in January. (if you scroll down you'll see my posts) Mine lasted over 3 weeks, and the day before I was supposed to go have it scraped (that's what he means by "go back in there") I just started feeling really sick of the whole thing and decided to see what happened if I just took the packing out for the night and when I woke up the next morning the pain was GONE!! the hole was still there, and I still have to be careful of food getting in there, but no more pain. I don't know if I'm right, but I think the packing was irritating it more than it was helping it. I'm not suggesting you do this, but you might want to think about it before you let them dig around in there and scrape it out. yeah, they use novacaine, but it still sounds terrible to me....
Thanks for the anwsers, it helps me to be able to clarify things.
JuJus its awful isnt it!!Ive read your accounts of ehat happened with you sounds similar to whats going on with me. Well i had the packing removed last friday and its getting worse not better unfortunately. I think my dentist had a similar train of thought to you in that he thought the packing was irritating more than helping by that point but oh my life has it hurt the past few days almost back to where it was whne the whole thing started :-(
well thanks for telling me about the bone scraping thing tho, at least i know wats going to happen now, this pain is so bad i think even that i can stand.
Oh I feel all of your PAIN.....
I just had my lower left Molar pulled 03/03/06. That same night I couldn't open mouth and a hard lump where the tooth was pulled and the left side of my face is swollen. But oh, the pain is unreal. Mind you, I just had major surgery last month on another body part, so I'm just getting over that long lasting pain as well. I'm begining to wonder if this is some kind of cruel punishment of some sort for my past behavior. lol
But the more I read these posts, the more I feel sorry for everyone. And I'm not alone in this horrible ordeal. (this is pure torture)
I did go back to my dentist 03/05/06 to get packed, I thought I was going to die. It hurt sooo bad. When he was done, I went outside in my truck and took 2 800MG Ibuprofen. Of course it didn't kick in for about 30 mins. So I sat and cried for about 5 mins. holding my face, then got my brains together and drove home with my whole face and ear hurting like a mother. I don't ever want to go back again to get any kind of packing done. That was just too much pain. I have been doing very well with taking the Ibuprofen every 3 1/2 hours. I just don't know how long I can take this though. I know I shouldn't be taking this much pills, but there doesn't seem like there is anything else to be done. I did read somewhere about crushing an asprin and put it in the hole along with a piece of gauge or cotton. I will be trying that next along with all the other remidies I have been reading on here. I will be going to the drug store in the morning to look for clove oil that is for sure. I can't stop my self from constantly looking in the mirror for a miracle blood clot that is yet to appear. Sometimes I swear I see one, only to be disappointed with my wild imagination. (talk about losing your mind with pain)
Other than that I wish you all the best of luck. We all need it very much. God, I really hope this doesn't last too much longer. My family and co-workers are starting to look at me differently. From happy go lucky to Madusa the witch.
Good luck to you all. You are now my new best painful friends. lol
awwww my  god u poor thing :_( i know that feeling im still in horrendous pain almost a month later getting to the end of my rope now i just dont know wat to do!! ive had my bone scraped and lordy did that hurt hoping for a clot to form and nope it didnt. now 5 days later and my dentist does not know what to do so now i have to wait for a referral to the hospital :-( im so mad im taking so many tablets its untrue and i too know i cannot go on like this :-(
i can totally related; i am one month post op extraction of one tooth and the throbbing pain is getting worse and worse and is unbearable; don't know either how i will get through this; can't even think staight due to pain; was already treated with antibiotics and stuff for dry socket once.
A related discussion, Dry Socket was started.
A related discussion, dry socket was started.
A related discussion, Dry socket agony was started.