Dental Health Expert Forum
dry socket pain and healing

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

dry socket pain and healing

I had a extraction on an Friday and by Sunday night I had a dry socket. What is the best thing to do to promote healing.  Repacking delays the healing process according to my dentist. I am managing the pain with Advil 800 mg every 4 hours. I have Multifple sclerosis and am a slow healer with a great risk of infection.  Small infection when the tooth was pulled, but the dentist said it looked good and no infection. My antibiotics have ended on Wednesday.  Please tell me any tips to heal sooner.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I actually pack the socket so I couldn't really tell you another way to promote the healiing. Packing the socket has worked for my patients.
just because it hurts does not mean it is a dry socket. But if indeed you have a dry socket, packing and repacking PROMOTES proper healing and is usually indicated. In stubborn cases, sometimes the dentist needs to currette the socket lining and actually CAUSE new bleeding to promote proper healing. I'd see an oral surgeon and have it evaluated.
At my office when we have a patient in pain because of an extraction we did we fix it no charge.  Strange.
You could have food lodged in it, which would need to be irrigated out.  (Preferably with saline solution which would promote the healing process.) but definately if you have a dry socket you need to get it packed or it wont heal.  Your socket is open to air when the blood clot gets dislodged (a dry socket)and the packing replaces it. Without a blood clot, if that indeed is the problem, you will not heal.  It's not fun for the patient, but with the combination of the irrig., eugenol and packing you would be good to go.
Hopefully you did not smoke after the tooth was taken out...
I just had crownlengenthing done on my lower jaw last friday and the stitches fell out within 4 days, the gums near one tooth really pulled back and has like a pocket between the gum & tooth and hurts like when I had a dry socket. ( I can stick my tongue in it) I was told I can't have dry socket with this, but boy does it hurt. Will the gums draw back to the tooth? DO I treat it the same as dry socket?
I have dry socket too and was wondering how long is it taking for yours to heal? The surgeon told me to try the meds first and then he would pack it. I still have holes and have to irrigate after eating. My surgery was two weeks ago and I was sedated. I had impacted molars.
A related discussion, y ocket was started.
A related discussion, Dry Socket Healing Time and Medications was started.
A related discussion, dry pocket was started.
A related discussion, TOOTH EXTRACTION was started.
A related discussion, slight pain in lower front teeth was started.