Dental Health Expert Forum
ear pain following crown and root canal procedures

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had a crown put on my lower first molar on the left side in 11/05. The morning following the crown, I was awakened with the most severe case of vertigo I have ever had.  The vertigo lasted several days and was followed by weakness that persisted a full month.  I called the dentist and asked if that would have caused the vertigo and he didn't think so.  Although, I have never had a case of vertigo like that before the crown. I do have an history of allergies and wondered if any of the materials used could have also triggered it.  After the vertigo subsided, I continued to have pain whenever anything touched the tooth.  I couldn't eat on that side of my mouth.  And I also had bouts of earaches. I waited a few months to see if the tooth would "settle".  It didn't and went back to the dentist whom filed down the crown to see if that would help. I finally had a root canal done on this tooth 4 months ago.  Now, I am finally able to chew again on this side of my mouth, but if I do, I noticed that the next day I wake up with an earache that radiates from the ear all the way to the tooth.  It hurts bad enough that I need to take Advil for a day or two.  If I baby the tooth and not eat on that side of my mouth like I did prior to the canal, I don't seem to get the earache.  Also, when I get the earache I have mild vertigo again with it. My other ear is fine, so I think it has to be related. Do you feel that there might have been nerve damage on that side of my mouth?  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I do not think there is any nerve damage but I would be concerned that the tooth is still sensitive to any type of function.It is possible that the earaches are related to the tooth and I would have both the root canal and your ear checked out by the appropriate doctors.
I went to the dentist yesterday 22/9/07 had had treatment fo a deep cavity, 2 filllings, procedure took 30-40 minutes and when the anesthic wore of i was in immense pain, today the pain is excruciating specifically in my ear on the side where i had the treatment. Is this to be expected? Im taking solphadine evry six hours and feel miserable!!!!