Dental Health Expert Forum
eating with dentures

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

eating with dentures

How do I eat with these things?
I've only had them 8 days...which I know isn't very long.
I've tried eating soft foods...but it's like I don't know how to eat. Food goes everywhere but where I want it to.
How long before I'm able to ingest something besides soup broth?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The best advice that I can give you is to have patience. Dentures like any prosthetic device has a learning curve. The upper usually is not a major problem, the lower because the tongue is there to dislodge it, is more of an adjustment. You will be restricted in the way you eat. It obviously will not be the same as when you had your own teeth. Your tongue will need to be trained to keep the denture as stable as possible. I would also suggest very stongly that if at all possible that at least two implants be placed on the lower--it will make your life immeasurably better.
yes the implant if you can afford, will give you such stability you can eat pretty much anything! patience is what is needed here. if you arent healing from recent extractions, you can try using some adhesive to help hold them. if you had extractions done the day you recieved your dentures then you will go through swelling, and then shrinkage making it a little difficult. practice makes perfect here. however if they are sloppy and ill fitting contact your dr. having dentures that dont fit correctly can make it very difficult. they could possibly do a temporary soft in office reline untill its time to do a lab reline. your dr should have discussed all these possibilities with you prior. 8 days is a short time. hopefully you can get a positive attitude towards them, it makes all the difference in the world!
if you have enough $, and then if you have enough bone, implants may make a huge difference