Dental Health Community
exposed bone after tooth extraction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

exposed bone after tooth extraction

about 8 weeks ago I had a lower tooth extracted (the first 'double' tooth on the right side) and it broke off. The dentist removed it in pieces and said all was OK. He put a stitch in it and it was fine until the stitch dissolved and the socket   got quite sore and it felt like there was exposed bone across my gum inside the socket. I went back and he said it was  not a piece of root left in but bone which surrounds the tooth. I have no teeth left behind this one and he said it was slow to heal and grow across the bone because there was nothing behind it to 'hold it' as it grew. He trimmed some sharp edges off the exposed bone and it still isn't healing. I saw him again yesterday and he said it should heal faster but we just have to wait. I asked him again if there was some root left and he said no. I have gone to him for years and have had a lot of teeth out but am concerned about this because it's never happened before. Does it sound right? Does this happen sometimes?
your advice will be most appreciated
Post-op x-ray can reveal if there is remnant left in the socket.
Mate just reading your story about your tooth extraction and resulting jawbone being exposed!   I have exactly the same thing by the sound of things... it was bottom left,  next molar along from the Wisdom tooth.. ...  it was extracted one month back the socket is dry but the bone is protruding through inside my mouth near my tongue, it is rather sharp and continually breaks through the gum...   how did you fair?    my email is ***@****   would be very interested to hear your long jeopardy