Dental Health Community
exposed jawbone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

exposed jawbone

I had a lower molar extracted after it flared up following a filling and an abcess (abscess) formed. The tooth broke when the dentist was taking it out and he had to remove the roots seperately and stitch the cavity closed. After the stitch dissolved I felt a lot of pain and a something sharp in the jaw beside and in the cavity. I went back and he said it was bone which surrounds teeth and because it was the last tooth in my jawthat he took out the gum wasn't growing back over properly because 'there is nothing to hold it from behind" He trimmed the bone to take a sharp edge off (not something I want again) but there still seems to be a sharp ridge there and the bone is still exposed. That was 8 weeks ago. The area of exposed bone doesn't seem to be getting much smaller, but a bit less sensitive. There is also a sharp  protrusion on the side of my gum like a point under the skin. I thought it might have been a small piece of tooth left but he said it would gradually go away. He is a very nice man but I'm getting a bit frantic about this. Has anybody had a similar experience? I've had abouit 12 teeth out in the past and this has never happened.
Any help will be most appreciated.