Dental Health Expert Forum
extraction for #31 and implant

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

extraction for #31 and implant
I am being advised to have #31 extracted, osseous surgery/graft, and implant. I have severe bone loss under #31; the prob goes completely under the tooth. What would happen if I don't have the tooth extracted (I don't have any pain)? What if I just have the tooth extracted? Note:#1 and #32 were extracted many years ago.
Sounds like there's a furcation involvement on your tooth.  Since there is bone loss between the roots, that area will be prone to infection and future problems.  It'll probably continue to worsen and continue to lose more bone in the area.  It may also abscess, causing swelling, pain and pus to develop in that area.  You can just extract the tooth without an implant.  But then the upper tooth above it may hypererupt, moving down into that space.  That can cause some alignment problems and make that upper tooth more prone to problems as well.