Dental Health Community
facial pain after dental work

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

facial pain after dental work

I had two cavities filled last week on the back molars (one on each side of my mouth).  The doctor had to give me two shots of anesthesia on both sides because I could feel pain when he was working on them.  After I left his office, I could not feel my face from my nose down.  While the numbness was going away, I started getting really bad pain on my face, specifically my cheeks.  My face was also swollen and tender on the cheeks.  I could barely open my mouth.  I took some ibuprofen and called the doctor to find out if this pain I had was something of concern.  He told me not to worry about it.  Two days later, the silver fillings started to come out. Now, I have pain in my mouth because of my cavities being exposed and the pain on my face which has not really gone away.  The pain is really bad when I push my cheek right between the cheek bone (highest point) and the jaw. I am no doctor but I have the feeling that the pain on my cheeks is because he probably hurt some nerve which causes the pain on my cheeks.  If this is the case, if I go back for more dental work where the dentist is going to give me more anesthesia, is that going to make my problem even worse?  I am worry that he may hurt the same nerve again and cause more problems.  Should I see a medical doctor before I see my dentist to see if this is going to be a problem?  Thank you very much.
i would go for a secong opinion to see the quality of the work that was done and the symptoms you are having. fillings should not fall out after a few days.
Hi there

Basically if your amalgam filling has come out then the bite was nt right on it. Your dentist should have tested the bite to make sure your teeth close together correctly. This means that your bite is totally out causing tooth pain and even headaches.

Also, remember, after you have a filling it will hurt. they may have been deep and close to the pulp (the nerve)

LA (Local Anesthesia) can make your mouth, nose and ees numb. Don't worry about that.

Get back to your dentist and make sure they test the bite!!! It is so important to test the bite. Amalgam takes 24 hors to set. Composite (tooth colour filling material) is set via a light so it is set instantly.
I am having a crown put on a jaw tooth, I now have the temporary, it took 3 shots of anesthesia to numb the tooth, its been a week and I still have severe pain in all the teeth on that side, the jaw bone and my ear. I have been taking antibiotics and iburofen for the last 3 days and still theres very little relief. I have two other crowns and have had a root canal in the past, I this has never happened before, what has happened?