Dental Health Community
feeling helpless

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

feeling helpless

My old dentist moved and I had silver fillings put in-never had a problem, then my new dentist put in composite in upper right in January. one week later my tooth was very painful, even flossing hurt. Three weeks later I had it redone. About two weeks after that I started having sever hot flashes, fatigued during the day, my eyes felt as though i had a fever and my body was achy on and off. I went to my PCP swho uggested I get labs done. (all were normal). A month later the symptoms got worse but I didn't do anything about it. Six weeks after the first composite filling I had one more done on the upper left. The symptoms were still around. They just keep getting worse. I told the dentist and he stated that I grind my teeth and this was the problem-so he smoothed the teeth out. This did not help, in the mean time I had two more composites done on the lt. lower. Now the symptoms are even worse. I am constantly tired. My teeth ache all the time. My lymp nodes swell on and off. I feel as though I have a fever on and off throughout the day and the hot flashes are even worse now. I talked to a few Doctors I work for and they maybe thought it was an allergic reaction to the composite and to call the Dentist. Well I did and he doesn't seem to think this is it so I did research on my own and found through the articles that composite can cause every symptom I have. what do you think. I am so tired and it has been over eight months. Help!!
The most common source of pain after a new restoration is occlusal interference.If occlusal intererence is introduced by amalgam filling, there would be shining spot on the filling surface, which is easily identified by the dentist. On the contrast, detection of occlusal interference of composite filling requires skillful technique. Allergic reaction to composite material is a rare incidence. Lymph nodes swelling is generally associated with infection. Composite filling procedure generally does'nt elicit infection. Besides, there may not be lymph node swelling, it could be local muscle spasm ,which may be mistaken as reactive lymph node. If your restorative dentist can not detect and eliminate occlusal interference, you may request the dentist to remove composite filling and replace with a temporary filling, see how it goes. If your symptoms persist after removal of composite filling, further investigation of pain source is warrented.
Allergic reaction is much more common than anyone will admit. See an allergist. You could end up with serious complications from double-component epoxy resin. Until dentists and dental manufacturers decide to share the ingredients under patent, all you can do is have the dentist test you for dental products, metals, and chemicals. You'll be very surprised at the results. No telling whats in the new teeth causing these serious neurologic problems and blisters/mouth sores.
PS I've had them 6 months and only controlled with many rounds of steroids and now daily allergy meds.