Dental Health Expert Forum
filling feels like tin foil when I bite
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

filling feels like tin foil when I bite

I went to a brand new dentist yesterday to get a little, little filling in my back upper molar. I take very good care of my teeth and haven't had a filling in about 15 years. I was very young when I got them but I don't remember this....when I bite down on any type of food, I have the feeling associated with biting into tin foil. I went back again today and he took the silver filling out and put a new one in. It is even worse than yesterday. He then tells me today I may need a root canal. What! I just had a little cavity. I cannot eat on the right side of my mouth at all. He took xrays and did not see any cracks of any sort. I don't know what happened. Did he make a mistake and set the filling near a nerve? I am never going back to him. I am so uncomfortable with this. What do you think it is?
Related Discussions
If you don't feel comfortable with the dentist, you should go to one that a friend or family member knows and trusts.  It is too difficult to tell what has happened without examining you or seeing x-rays.  Good luck.
3 Comments
Blank
What kind of symptoms are you getting with this tooth? Sensitive to hot? cold? hurts when biting? or nothing?
The feeling like tin foil makes sense since it was a silver filling. it takes a full 24 hours for a silver filling to set completely.
Blank
if the filling is not deep, you should not be needing root canal tx. the foil taste usually goes away in a few days. i would get another opinion at this point, preferably from a dentist you are referred to by a friend or family member.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
540545_tn?1377626518
Jerome Tsang, DDSBlank
Irvine Modern Dentistry
Irvine, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now