Dental Health Expert Forum
firm white spot on side of tongue.

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

firm white spot on side of tongue.

As my question title says, I have a firm white lump on the back of my tongue, and on the side, that has been there for a couple of months. There is no pain assosiated with it. I have been to a DDS and my primary care doc and both have said it is nothing.  Is it possible that this could be a Mucoid Cyst?  I am worried because it is not going away, yet everyone is quick to blow it off as nothing.  I know it is hard for you to make a judgement call, not being able to see it.  What do you think I should do?  Just stop worring about it?

Thanks,
Shawn
Avatar_dr_m_tn
For your peace of mind I would consult an oral surgeon.From your description it does not sound serious but I would have it checked out.
Additionally, it has not changed in size over the few months and it is about 3 - 4  mm in diameter.
If it hasn't changed size and from what you descroibe of it's appearance it does sound like a small cyst.  Has it reduced in size at all?
I have almost the same thing, but mine is on my soft pallet in the very back left side.  It isn't raised, no pain with it, I would not know its there.  It has been there over 2 months! Makes me nervous!  I am 29 wks prego now, but the first dr said its probably hormones (after going to urgent care) my primary dr said not to worry, my dentist said-Oh that unique - tooks some pics (as he was not concerned it was anything serious) and then he sent those to aoral surgeon that pretty much dismissed it to.  I still haven't found out what this is but have aprenatal appt on Monday I might ask to get it tested for peace of mind.  Have you found out what yours is yet?