Dental Health Expert Forum
fistula

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

fistula

I had a root canal 3 months ago because I was diagnosed with a fistula.  However, the root canal was unsuccessful and had to oral surgery (apeco).  Three weeks later, a fistula returned above the original one.  The dentist put me on antibiotics for 7 days and has now recommended pull the tooth and a possible implant.  I am frustrated because of all I went through and now this.  "Why did this not work?'  He stated it had a 98% of success.  Is an implant the answer?  Do you think there is something more going on?  
Did you go to the endodontist (a root canal specialist)?

Usually if there's a fistula, that indicates theres an infection thats gone down the root of the tooth and into the jaw bone.  At that point, the infection has spread but usually a root canal will resolve that issue.  If it doesn't, sometimes an apicoectomy is needed to clean the infected root tip.  Its possible that you have some extra canals or other dental anatomy that is causing the infection to stay.  There may be an extra canal or it may split into multiple exit points which would allow bacteria to hide and remain in the jawbone causing that fistula to reappear.  At that point, if the specialist can't treat it with a root canal or apicoectomy, an implant can be a good option because by removing the tooth, the infection will resolve and a dental implant placed to replace the missing tooth.  

I'm sorry that all that treatment didn't fix the fistula.  Unfortunately, even with a success rate of 98%, if your endodontist does 100 root canals in a month, there's probably 1-2 cases were things don't work out.  Sorry that it seems you happen to be that one.  If you want, you can always seek a second opinion on the matter as well.