Dental Health Expert Forum
fistula

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

fistula

2 years ago I had r/c done on #14.  I developed a fistuala and had an apico 9 months ago.  I developed a fistula again, but it disappeared after antibiotics.  I am now feeling a "spongy" sort of lump at the top of my gums connecting to the inside of my mouth above the tooth.  Could this be another fistula?  It feels different from the last 2.  If it is another fistula what are your recommendations?  Does this mean there is an ongoing infection that has been in this tooth for the last 2 years?  How bad is that for the bone and rest of my teeth?  Thanks for your help.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
My feeling on apicos on molars has changed over the years. I have seen more failures than successes. If the infection persists I would suggest extraction with the placement of an implant or a fixed bridge.My first choice is an implant,if there is sufficient bone and I would rather not have to crown the adjacent teeth if at all possible.