Dental Health Expert Forum
flap surgery with bone graft

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

flap surgery with bone graft

My dentist is going to be doing flap surgery on 4 teeth on bottom right along with bone grating since the pockets are 7 and 8.  Right now my teeth are not loose at all.  Will this surgery loosen them?  I am worried about that.  Please advise.   Some people tell me not to do it..  But I have been told what I have is genetic and it will only get worse.
If you're not completely comfortable with the recommended treatment, I suggest either discussing your concerns with the original dentist or seeking a second opinion.  Obviously I can't provide much of an opinion as I'm not able to evaluate you but you shouldn't do any treatment you're not comfortable with at this time.  But I wouldn't recommend waiting too long to get the treatment if it is deemed necessary
Dr Tsang:  Thanks for responding.  I have seen 4 periodontists and they all agree I need flap surgery.  My number one question is this, will this cause my teeth tp become loose for a while. Or is this a fallacy?? Right now they are tight. I am worried I will not be able to eat at all.  I do not want to lose more teeth.  The periodontist I have chosen is also putting bone in.    
You may want to ask the periodontist but if its flap surgery, it may result in some gum recession in the area but the bone graft may help negate that.  Otherwise, it shouldn't loosen the teeth in theory but I can't guarantee it.  They probably will warn you that it may be initially loose before it tightens up after treatment.  Obviously without treatment, it will loosen over time and progressively get worse.