Dental Health Expert Forum
fosomax

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

fosomax

I needed an extraction and the dentist was unable to do it ,because I'M on fosomax and the blood count was 3. I was adviced to go on a holiday from the medication for a period of three months. I have been taken fosomax for 2 years. It was explain that if I was to have the tooth extracted i'll not be able to heal. My questions is what does the 3 blood level means. i DECIDED NOT TO GO BACK IN FOSOMAX.iS THERE A SAFER ALTERNATIVE

IVO
I would go back to your physician who has prescribed the fosamax before stopping the medication.  There is some concern in regards to the use of fosamax and the possibility of the jaw bone not healing after an extraction and getting infected.  I'm not aware of any blood tests that are used to indicate whether an extraction can be performed or not.

http://www.ada.org/public/topics/osteonecrosis.asp