Dental Health Community
full or partial denture?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

full or partial denture?

I have 6 front top teeth left and two have to come out because they are beyond repair. The other 4 including the 2 canines can be either left and repaired as necessary  and a partial metal immediate denture fitted or I can have the whole 6 extracted and an immediate full denture.
I have had two opinions from different dentists and one says to extract the two really bad ones and save the others and the other says extract the lot and get the full denture because eventually I will probably lose the remaining ones because they will continue to have to be repaired and are not in good shape now.
From the point of view of having dentures is it better to keep some teeth on top and get a partial or have a full one straight away and be done with it ? I can't seem to get a definate answer and I'm having trouble making the decision. In the meantime I'm full of toothaches!
I have to get a bottom partial also but have 6 front teeth left and they are OK.
Please advise me. Thanks, Kevin
If the remaining natural teeth are salvable and solid, save them for abutment teeth for removable partial denture . Complete denture requires more dentist's  skill. Removable partial denture requires less dentist' skill. Do not challange your dentist competency. Let your dentist do a easier job.
thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I will follow your advice, but could you just advise me about whether to get  metal or plastic immediate partials for the top? Sorry, I forgot to ask when I posted the question. One advice says get metal straight away and the other is get plastic and then metal later when my gums have settled. Metal are more expensive but I want the best thing.
thanks again
It depends on the life expectency of remaining teeth. If remaining teeth are solid and may serve long term service, metal frame work functions better. If life expectency of remaining teeth are short, you need to consider to convert the removable partial into full denture. Metal framework is not as retentive as acrylic base in case of full denture. Relining of extraction site is no problem whether the framework is metal or acrylic. The other considerarion is, some remaining natural teeth may do intentional root canal and cut the crown, the root may serve as attachment anchorage. Probably the crown root ratio is not favorable in your condition. After cut down the crown, crown root ratio would be much more favorable.The condition I just described is called overdenture.You may need to discuss with your dentist.
Hi Doctor
Thanks for the advice about full or partial dentures June 12th. My dentist suggests I get partial bottom metal frame flexible denture now rather than in a few months when I will have to get upper partial or full also.(have 6 good front bottom teeth left)

This will help me get used to having something strange in my mouth, and then we will work out later what to do about the top which also has only 6 front teeth but they are not so good - (at least 2 have to be removed but doesn't have to be now)

What do you think? He says it will help my jaw to stabalise and take some pressure off the remaining teeth even though I will not be biting on anything above because the teeth on top are missing. He is a good experienced man but is now elderly (like me) and tends to change him mind about things. I am a bit unsure and your opinion will be valued.
thank you ,Kevin