Dental Health Expert Forum
granuloma or cancer??

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

granuloma or cancer??
I am a 35 year old female. About 4 or 5 months ago I got a sharp pain in one of my upper back teeth. About 2 weeks later my gum had swollen almost past the tooth. I went to the dentist who did exrays and said I had an infection in the root of the tooth and the tooth had to come out. He extracted the tooth. Within 2 weeks the gum developed a tumor like thing where the tooth had been. It was red or dark pink, fleshy and bleed profusly when when i brushed my teeth or anything touched it. I went back to the dentist and was told he thought it was a granuloma and needed to see a dental surgeon. I had dental surgery to remove the tumor. The dentist found another root way up in my gum and thought this was the problem. He removed everything, sowed me up and sent me home. Now a month later, its coming back again. Now he wants me to come in for a biopsy. But, I have to go in for a consultation and then set up the biopsy. I live a hundred miles from the surgeon. How long will this take to find out anything?  Im losing sleep over this and worrying myself to death that its cancer. Any advise or thoughts? What are the chances its cancer over it being a granuloma? I have read about pregnant women getting these but I am not pregnant. I have always had trouble with my teeth, but never anything like this before.
Sorry.  The only definitive way to know if its cancer is to perform a biospy and evaluate it under a microscope.  The results should come within a week or so after the biospy but your oral surgeon will let you know.  I don't know what the chances are that its cancer versus a granuloma.  You may want to discuss your concerns with the oral surgeon but I'm pretty sure he won't really be able to answer you until the biospy is done.
A related discussion, granuloma was started.