Dental Health Community
headache after temp crown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

headache after temp crown

I have situation similar to 6skies. Two weeks ago, I had a temp crown placed on the upper left side -2nd tooth from the back. It was a big filling and the dentist was drilling for some time. The next day I began having headaches and they still continue all the time. I have to take Advil several times a day. He checked after one week and said there was no infection, but said it looked tender.

I can open my jaw fine, but I wonder if some bone structure in my left jaw was thrown off by the drilling to be causing these headaches? I rarely get headaches, so having them all the time is concerning.

Thank you.
Extensive dental work can cause irritation of the pulp, which can lead to discomfort or headaches, especially the closer you get to the pulp.  This can be further aggrivated if the temporary is leaking anywhere (the tender gums make me think its the temporary).  The longest any of my patients have any discomfort is about 2-3 days, but I specifically spend extra time making sure they go home with a well made temp.

If your jaw joint was strained at all during the procedure, it would present more as muscle soreness and would not last for 2 weeks.  

I would expect your symptoms to improve within a few days after the permanent crown is seated.
If you have had headaches and you think it is from the crown, better not get the permanent one put on.   I just went and seen an Expert professional (Prosthodonist)

look it up.   Before you get any dental work done (restorations) please go see a prosthodonist, they are experts at what they do.  Some General Dentists claim to be artists/engineers in the field of placing crowns and prosthesis on teeth but some cannot and don't even know what occlusal means.

I had a bad experience with a general dentist.  Wait until you feel like nothing is wrong, it could be that the temp is too high though.  Hopefully they will adjust your permanent crown right, there were 3 of mine that were not adjusted right and it caused me all sorts of problems for 7 months.     My jaw was starting to get TMJ.

I had a huge filling taken out of my tooth and never felt any pain.  Core crown build up around the tooth and a temp put on, never had any pain. A month later he puts the permanent crown on, I feel drastic pain. If the dentist puts the crown on, make sure he does you occlusal right.   I never knew if an occlusal was not done right, it could cause alot of things in your facial area to go wrong.   Including TMJ.  

good luck.    ps   make sure you get a good dentist or expert to do any work. People who have been to school 4 more years than a general denist know more of what they are doing than someone who has just completed 3 or 4 years in jack of all trades.

I am not saying general denstist are bad, but the only reason I'll ever see one again is too maybe get my teeth cleaned, from now on it is a Prosthodonist to do all of my restorations.      Thanks to this web site and the one densit from here Jerome I am almost home free without pain.    Something to celebrate let me tell you. Tooth pain is the worst pain anyone can feel.  Well, maybe having a baby is worse.