Dental Health Community
headaches after wisdom teeth extraction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

headaches after wisdom teeth extraction

My 20 year old son had his 4 wisdom teeth extracted last summer. He was awake for the procedure because the oral surgeon said that when they started to put him under his blood pressuure dropped very low. Three days after the extraction he started to have a severe headache. We went to see the doctor but he said everything was fine with his teeth. The headache would not go away so we went to his pediatrician and he had an MRI which showed he had an opacified right maxillary sinus which had to be caused from the oral surgeon puncturing the membrane to the sinus. We tried antiobiotics to clear up the sinus infection but no luck so he had sinus drainage surgery that was also supposed to clear up the headache. It is exactly one year later and he still has the headache. We have 2 neurologists and been to a headache clinic. He is on a preventative medication which has helped somwehat but he still has daily headaches. Any suggestions or thoughts on a treatment. Is this caused by a nerve problem? Is it a posttaumatic migraine? It is affecting our lives so negatively and we really need some help.

Thanks,
J
IF you have a mayo clinic close by  go there and have them look at him. mayo is the best
The sinus surgery was successful?  There's not still an opening into the sinus?  What preventive medication does he take now?
I had 20 teeth pulled along with 2 wisdom teeth its been a week now an I had started having very bad headache is this normal and how long will it be before the headaches stop    Hurts So Bad!!!!!!