Dental Health Expert Forum
history of head trauma & smaller eyes

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

history of head trauma & smaller eyes

Hi Doctor,
I had a head injury in 2003, which fractured my cribriform plate and both frontal lobes. Craniotomy with plates was performed. I didn't know the severity atthe time because I couldnt followup due to an expired insurance and felt fine for a while. The impact was near the middle, top of the head. Everything healed nicely except for loss of smell but then it returned. I have received more trauma to this area in 2006 from an assault.  I can feel the gap with my finger. My sinus above my left eye is definitely split. In 2010 I got hit again in the back of the head and near the frontal lobes from an accident.The fracture over my left eye seems to have widened over time since 2010.  Later In 2010 I had a CT scan (by oculoplastic surgeon) which stated and observed the fractures I said above and that both my"cribriform plates have questionable deformities." It also states "There's mucosal thickening of multiple ethmoid air cells with opacification of the left middle ethmoidal air cell. It  also states I have "encephalomalacia in the left anterior and inferior left greater than right frontal lobes compatible with old contusions"

Since 2010, both my eyes look, without a doubt, to be getting smaller; both of them. I saw a glaucoma specialist yesterday and he said there was very slight thinning of the  optic nerve and my IOP in both eyes is 12. He just wanted to keep an eye on the thinning and overall eye. Could they be getting a false-positive reading on the reading? There's no doubt both my eyes have been getting smaller and I have extreme throbbing, pulling eye pain periodically throughout the day. Retina specialists say I have some lattice degeneration. Is there a test that examines all the layers of the eyes instead of the retina? Something is definitely not right and I feel its due to the head injury. Thank you, in advance, Doctor. If you were in my position, please let me know what you would do. I feel  hopeless.
Sorry zercool1.  I'm a dentist and I don't know much about eye treatment or how to even diagnose that.  I think you may have posted this in the wrong forum.