Dental Health Expert Forum
hook roots

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

hook roots

I had a tooth pulled a while back and my dentist called a nurse over to look at it and said he hadn't seen something like that in 32 years then he said he would tell me about it later....well he didn't...but the nurse said my root was hook shaped...I asked her why and she said "sometimes that just happens"....if it "just happens" then why hadn't the dentist seen it in 32 years?
  • continued... (1 replies):
    I just wanted to finish up. I have a pimple/cyst above m...[more]
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is possible that that particular tooth had anatomy that the dentist had never seen before. As long as you are ok it doesn't really matter what the tooth loked like.
hooked roots are not that uncommon. perhaps yours was more severe. i wouldn't look to deeply into the comment made by your dentist.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.  Are you a dentist, no offense...just wondering?  I'm not too concerned about it...because I figure if there was a problem SOMEONE at the dental office would've told me something ( that's why I posted in the "cosmetic dentistry" topic) and it healed just fine.

I really am just curious what it is and if it means anything...healthwise.

thanks
i am a dentist/ healthise, it means absolutely nothing. it's just an anatomical variant-- the root was curved. this is actually quite common in wisdom teeth--especially lowers.
This website says...

"Questions in this forum are being answered by Jerome Bogin, D.D.S. and Matthew Baron, D.M.D.,"

You may be a dentist, but I don't know for sure.  This is the internet and you could just be pretending you're a dentist for some strange far-out reason, so if you don't mind I would like my question answered one of the dentists listed above....that's why I came on here and posted my question.  but, thanks anyway
lol.... that is fine. they'll tell you the same thing i told you.
MIke has been nice enough to answer many questions on this board along with the mentioned doctor. No need to be rude. If you dont want to take his advice then dont. Have a nice day :)
FYI, this board is still open to other participants aside from the "official" dentist.  All that means is that the monitoring dentist will ALSO answer you; on the patient-to-patient forum it is less likely (and that forum barely moves.)
Funny you mention about ur "hooked root".. i had an eye tooth removed a few weeks ago as it was sticking straight out the front of my mouth. The root actually had a hook on the end of it (quite sharp aswell!) and it was a total pain to get out!!