Dental Health Expert Forum
how long does pain last after dental onlay?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had a dental onlay done 3 weeks ago on a back molar tooth, the dentist had to also laser the gum next to the tooth because it was in the way.   The dentist told me that the onlay would not cause any pain afterwards and that the gum would heal in 2 to 3 days at the most.   I was in very bad pain still for 4 days after.  I went back to the dentist and he adjusted the bite, it felt better, but then that night the pain came back again, a dull ache type of pain, like headache type on the side of my mouth. I went back again to the dentist and was told it could be my wisdom tooth acting up.  I then went to an oral surgeon and he took a panoramic x ray and said that my wisdom tooth was ok to stay where it is and wasn't causing the pain.  Advil makes it completely go away, but it as been over 3 weeks now and i am still living on advil.   The pain has gotten duller, but it is still always there without the advil.  The oral surgeon told me to give it about a month to settle down and for the gum to heal.  Have you ever heard of something like this ? I am hoping it goes away soon without having to take advil every single day.
What else can i do to help it ?  
Its possible that the trauma from the dental handpiece can cause damage to the nerve of the tooth.  If that's the case, it may take upwards of 6 weeks to completely recover from that irritation.  If it doesn't improve in 6 weeks, a root canal may be needed as the injury won't heal on its own.
I think that if you don't abuse the tooth (by cracking ice, for instance) that twenty years is NOT unreasonable. :-)
Yes, looks like it could be 20 years at this rate.  I would never have a dental onlay done again.  My trust for dentists is diminished.
hello, have you been done endodontic treatment before onlay?
what is your innitial problem? Dental Cavity or Broken  partial tooth?