infection in my gum
i had a root canal done a few weels ago and developed an infection,this was so bad that i had the tooth out,this was 2 days ago now and i am still in pain it all up the side of my gum .the pain is going to my ear and also down my throat.i thought that after having my tooth out this would start to heal but i dont seem to be getting any better.i am on antibiotics and have taken half the course already and ii cant see any inprovment also i am still in a lot of pain.does anyone know how long it takes for the swelling and pain to cool down,x
It sounds like you had a pretty bad infection, which may require some time to heal.  I don't understand why the tooth was removed, but there must have been good reason.  I would call your dentist and express your concern, especially if there is no improvement at all, and you still have swelling, and pain.  Infections in this area always concern me because of the brain, so I wouldn't wait on this.  I'm not trying to scare you, just want to see you get some relief.  Usually after 72 hours on an antibiotic some improvement is seen/felt.  If you feel he isn't taking this seriously enough, see your doctor as it sounds like it may no longer be a dental issue.