Dental Health Expert Forum
inflammation and soreness under tongue

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

inflammation and soreness under tongue

I woke up yesterday with soreness under my tongue.  The floor of my mouth and underside of my tongue is red and a bit swollen.  There are a few very small (<1mm diameter) red and white bumps on the floor of my mouth that kind of just "blend in" with the inflammation.  The frenum is almost white and quite sore.  The two little flaps of tissue that run up the bottom of the tongue alongside the two veins seem to have grown a bit in width (they are rather flappy now) and are red.  The area where the Wharton Ducts are is swollen and red.  The top of my tongue and rest of mouth seem fine, though I do have a general feeling of "coated" mouth, like I've been eating and drinking too much.  

I'm 30 years old and have been chewing tobacco for a few years on and off.  I'm quitting now as this is scary.  Doesn't seem like cancer from everything I've read though.  Seems more like an infection, but there doesn't seem to be any strange odor or bad breath (that I can perceive).  I don't have health insurance right now or else I'd just go to my doctor.  Is this something worth paying to get checked out?  
Anytime you notice a strange condition in your body, its worth checking out for peace of mind as well as addressing any issues before it becomes more serious.  I would recommend getting it checked out since you do have some tobacco history which automatically puts you in a higher risk category.