Dental Health Expert Forum
irritated lining of lips

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

irritated lining of lips
For several months now, my lining of my lips has been irritated.Dr. and Dentist seem to think it might be an allergy. No lesions or thrush or infection. Just constant burning sensation. Inner lips get red. Any input?
That would be my guess too.  Did you change to any new products that may have contact with your lip when the allergy started?  Possibly new toothpaste, dietary changes, mouthwash, lipstick, etc?
I have had burning and irritation of the inside of my top lips for 3 months now.  i went to the dentist..she said the teeth and gums are healthy.  I went to my family doctor.  She said it may be a yeast infection and gave me Nystatin Swish and Swallow.  I went though 2 bottles...no help.  Then i went to an ear, nose and throat DR. last week.  they did a food allergy test....I am not allergic to any foods.  He gave me a prescription of "Magic Mouthwash"  It has Nysyatin, Tetrcycline, Malox and licodaine.  It make it feel good (numbs it) for about 15 minutes, then it's back to it's darn hurting annoying self.  Anyone else have this problem?  
Have you seen a neurologist to see if the burning and irritation of the lip may be due to some type of nerve inflammtion or damage?  
my lips get irritated and a little swollen for two weeks. after that it goes away and comes back again each month. its annoying! chapstick doesnt help. vaseline helps a little but it just comes and goes. i dont have any allergies. i dont have any infections. it started in march this year, 2008.
Is there anything that may have happened that might have triggered the swelling?  Again, sometimes changes in things such as toothpaste, lipstick, mouthwash can cause an allergic reaction.
A related discussion, lip irritation was started.
A related discussion, how to remov marks in teeth was started.