Dental Health Expert Forum
jaw/tooth pain that won't go away
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

jaw/tooth pain that won't go away

I have had jaw/tooth pain that started on lower right side of mouth, now it has radiated to upper right jaw and my ear.  I've been to two dentists - one said I had a chronic infection at the tip of a root and that that tooth with crown on it was dead - lower tooth after the wisdom tooth. My regular dentist said it was not an infection, that it is a bone growth that I have had since 2005 from clinching my teeth (I do wear a night guard).  He showed me the x-rays, and he did say that the bone growth has gotten bigger.  Just to be on the safe side, he sent my x-rays to an oral surgeon to see if it was a cyst.  The oral surgeon said it was a bone growth also.  My reg. dentist could not find any area where the pain might be originating from.  I have no pain when I eat, and I did not experience pain when my dentist was tapping my teeth.  I was given antibiotics and hydrocodone for the pain.  The pain med. worked at first, but now that isn't even taking the pain away.  I am still on the antibiotics.  Dentist said to take all of them, and if that doesn't work to come back.  Could that bone growth be causing the pain in my jaw and ear?