Dental Health Expert Forum
large boney growth in roof of mouth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

large boney growth in roof of mouth

My husband needs dentures but has a large boney growth on the roof of his mouth.  Dentist says he needs this removed.  He has been insisting he is not getting this removed but now with faced with not having any teeth left on top is reconsidering.  Is this a involved proceedure???? He is worried about the pain following?????? How long does it need to heal before traditional dentures can be worn???????
You should probably discuss the specifics of the torus removal with your dentist.  But I have done tori removal on the bottom jaw and the patients generally recover fine.  There may be a few days of pain and soreness but as the gum tissue heals to protect the area, the pain improves.  

The procedure to remove a torus is probably less involved than removing wisdom teeth that are going sideways or stuck in the jaw bone.  I'm not sure how long the dentist would want to wait until dentures can be worn but its possible that it can be done in the same day.