Dental Health Expert Forum
lots of pain - TMJ?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

lots of pain - TMJ?
My jaw started popping periodically, especially when chewing gum, about a year or so ago. There was never any pain, just annoying. I also started having headaches pretty bad. Then, I started to notice that I would get "flare ups" where it would pop alot and ache in my face and jaw. Several months ago I started having these headaches while I would sleep. I would go to bed and after sleeping about 5 hours, I would wake up with a horrific headache ALL OVER my head. There wasn't one specific spot that hurt.....it was my whole head: top, bottom, sides and front. Once I got up, it would go away. I haven't been able to sleep more than 7-8 hours without pain for a long time. Recently it has been affecting me bad and for the longest period of time. It is popping the whole time I eat and when I open my mouth. I woke up last night at 4:30 with what felt like a migraine. I got up to take some Tylenol and was fine until I tried to lay down again.  Does TMJ really do all of this to you? I haven't been diagnosed with TMJ except verbally. My dentist referred me to a TMJ specialist, but is is not covered by my insurance, so I haven't seen one. I have been having my chiropractor do slight adjustments and they have given some relief. I am also seeing a massage therapist tomorrow.  Does this sound like TMJ? Can it cause my head to hurt this bad.....to where nothing seems to relieve it? What about while I am sleeping? My face feels like someone punched me all over and I have constant ringing in my ears. Help!!
First of all stop chewing gum. Yes TMJ dysfunction can cause these symptoms. I would stongly suggest you get to see the TMJ specialist.
could be TMJ-- TMJ is actually spasm in the musculature around the joint capsule. There are about a dozen muscles on each side which move the jaw, which is why you can move it in so many directions. when the muscles spasm, they hurt. I usually recommend antiinflammatories, lots of muscle massage inside and outside the mouth, warm compresses, soft diet .  the sme type of things you'd do if you had a sore back. I'd recomend a TMJ specialist also.
thanks. I cannot take anti-inflammatories as I am alergic to aspirin and there are none that aren't in the same category. I am seeing a massage therapist today, recommended by my chiropractor.  My chiropractor showed me how my jaw is actually "pulling to one side" and is out of line. He is doing adjustments and it has been getting it back in line. My whoel face hurts, including my teeth. I think I let it go far too long.
You said your insurace wouldn't cover tmj. Are you referring to dental or medical insurance? I thought it would be dental insurance, but I was told to check my medical cover and I found out it was covered under medical. Just call your insurance company to verify. good luck and hope you can get some relief
i have suffered with TMJ for almost 14 yrs now, all of the symtoms u described are symtoms of TMJ.  Aside from all of the advise already posted from other members, i found that wearing a mouth guard at night helps to relieve most if not all of the the things u described for me.  I don't grind my teeth, only clench, but the mouth guard helps me alot.  I have had them fitted special for me, at a great expense, but i found that one guard that i purchased online is wonderful and works just as well.  Check out sleepright.com, i hope you can get some relief from the product like i have. Please do not take this advise as a professional's, that i am not, and still advise seeing one if u can.
A related discussion, Severe TMJ?- Please Help Me! was started.