Dental Health Expert Forum
lower jaw pain, swollen lymph node in chin after tooth extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had my lower left last molar removed due to infection about 4 weeks ago.  The tooth next to that is hurting extremly bad when I touch it, and my jaw is very sore under my tongue.  My lymph node on that side is also in pain and can be felt to the touch.  I know that I need to go back for the other tooth, which had a root canal but no crown, a year ago, but why am I not healing from the first extraction?  I should also mention that it hurts to swallow and my chin feels full on that side
Is the pain and swallowing becoming more difficult?  You may have an infection that either resulted from the extraction or is coming from the other tooth that isn't resolved and thus spreading and getting worse.  Are you on any antibiotics?  I would recommend seeing your dentist and getting a prescription to slow down the infection if that's the case.  
I am also having ear pain and pain in my temple, it is a dull aching all the time.
I subsequently had the other tooth pulled monday by my dentist.  He said that I have a mass in my jaw, probably a cyst.  He said if the extraction does not help I will need to see an oral surgeon to get it removed.  Thank you for answering my question.  I thought that I was going crazy.  he gave me another prescription of clyndamycin in case of infection.
Hope that does the trick and you start to feel better.