Dental Health Community
lower lip numbness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

lower lip numbness

I have been experiencing some numbness in my lower lip for about a year now.  I have also had a problem with a recurring saliva gland infection, which has been happening about the same amount of time.  I have been to an MD who prescribed anti-biotics, which seems to help with the saliva gland problem but the numbness in the lower lip continues.  I have also been to the dentist twice in the last year, both times telling me that they don't see any reason to worry about cancer.  I used to use tobacco, so this is the reason for my worrying.  I do have some scarring on my lower lip from accidents when  I was younger.  But again, the numbness didn't start until about a year ago.  Any ideas what could be the cause, and any suggestions would be helpful.  Thank you.

This discussion is related to Lip Numbness.
Seeing an oral medicine specialist for salivary gland problem is advised. If the oral medicine specilaist or orofacial pain specialist can not solve numb lip probelm, seeing a neurologist is advised.