Dental Health Community
lump inside mouth after wisdom tooth extraction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I'm a 29yr. old female. I have unfortunately never been to the dentist until 2wks ago. I went to have an abscessed impacted wisdom tooth extracted on the lower left side. The "dentist" struggled for 2 hours to remove the tooth, and after getting a drill, dislocating my jaw, and cutting the inside of my cheek (on accident), finally had to stop digging. Immediately following this trauma, I complained of painful and difficult swallowing. No one in the office seemed concerned. I did everything I am supposed to do for follow up and went to a different dentist to have the sutures removed a week later. Four days after the extraction I noticed that I had a dime size lump just past my gum line going into my throat. My tongue  rubs up against it causing more pain. It has now been 2 wks and 1 day, and the lump is now the size of a nickel and the left side of my tongue is numb. It's too painful to eat solid foods or even swallow my own spit, therefore, I have lost alot of weight in 2 weeks. To top off all that is going on, my jaw locks up, I can barely open my mouth when sitting upright, I can't open it at all if my head is tilted back or I'm lying on my back, my ear feels like it's closing, my neck is sore and swollen, and I have excruciating headaches. I am so mad at the original dentist that words can't even express. I'm mad at myself for just finding the first "dentist" in the phone book. I'm concerned and frustrated and I don't know what to do. I took the inflammation medicine and the antibiotic and the pain is increasing and the lump is getting bigger. I must mention also that the site where the wisdom tooth was located doesn't hurt hardly at all. I am a smoker of 9yrs. and I don't know if that has anything to do with all of this. I didn't smoke for 48 hours after extraction though. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance. :(
It may need to be drained.  It sounds like an abcess (abscess).  Possibly a dry socket.  The smoking also doesn't help :)  Go back and see your dentist ASAP