Aa
A
A
Close
lump inside mouth after wisdom tooth extraction
I'm a 29yr. old female. I have unfortunately never been to the dentist until 2wks ago. I went to have an abscessed impacted wisdom tooth extracted on the lower left side. The "dentist" struggled for 2 hours to remove the tooth, and after getting a drill, dislocating my jaw, and cutting the inside of my cheek (on accident), finally had to stop digging. Immediately following this trauma, I complained of painful and difficult swallowing. No one in the office seemed concerned. I did everything I am supposed to do for follow up and went to a different dentist to have the sutures removed a week later. Four days after the extraction I noticed that I had a dime size lump just past my gum line going into my throat. My tongue  rubs up against it causing more pain. It has now been 2 wks and 1 day, and the lump is now the size of a nickel and the left side of my tongue is numb. It's too painful to eat solid foods or even swallow my own spit, therefore, I have lost alot of weight in 2 weeks. To top off all that is going on, my jaw locks up, I can barely open my mouth when sitting upright, I can't open it at all if my head is tilted back or I'm lying on my back, my ear feels like it's closing, my neck is sore and swollen, and I have excruciating headaches. I am so mad at the original dentist that words can't even express. I'm mad at myself for just finding the first "dentist" in the phone book. I'm concerned and frustrated and I don't know what to do. I took the inflammation medicine and the antibiotic and the pain is increasing and the lump is getting bigger. I must mention also that the site where the wisdom tooth was located doesn't hurt hardly at all. I am a smoker of 9yrs. and I don't know if that has anything to do with all of this. I didn't smoke for 48 hours after extraction though. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance. :(
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
It may need to be drained.  It sounds like an abcess.  Possibly a dry socket.  The smoking also doesn't help :)  Go back and see your dentist ASAP
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dental Health Community Resources