Dental Health Expert Forum
mandibular tori

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

mandibular tori

This is not related to 'cosmetic dentistry' but I couldn't find an appropriate topic.

Right basically, for some reason a few weeks ago I noticed that I have 3 bumps on my mandible; one at each side, though the left one is slightly bigger than the right one, and a very small one in the middle which is almost directly in the centre and under the lingual frenulum. You have to push the frenulum down to be able to feel it. I went to my GP about them because I freaked myself out and she said that they could be infected roots, calcium in the salivary glands or of course, something more sinister.  I then went to see an emergency dentist as I was convinced that it was something bad and she said she thought that the bumps at the side were mandibular tori and that I probably had an extra little one in the middle. She seemed to think that I had always had them and just not noticed. She also said though, that I should see my own dentist.

I have booked an appointment with my own dentist but it's not for a while and basically, I need some reassurance. I keep poking the bump in the middle which has made my frenulum and the surrounding area sore. When I flicked my finger across it, it clicked like it was a little piece of bone and it seems a bit more pointed than the two rounded ones at the side. Would you say that it is likely to be just another torus? It doesn't hurt and I have no ulcers or anything. My mouth is otherwise healthy.

Thanks for your help
Generally mandibular tori appear on the sides of the mandible inside towards the tongue.  The third bump is a bit more unusual but its possible its just a tori as well.  I would try to leave the tissue alone and not irritate it anymore.  The gums around a tori tend to be thinner and more prone to injury and are more sensitive.  

If there's no swelling or other symptoms, I would imagine its most likely a tori.  They may keep an eye on it and see if it changes in any way