Dental Health Expert Forum
minimal treatment options?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

minimal treatment options?

Hi. My daughter had a cavity filled and has some sensitivity to hot and cold in her tooth several weeks later. She says it is not increasing and may be decreasing.... The dentist is recommending a root canal, which I absolutely do not want.... I am going to look for someone who will explore direct pulp capping -- but even then, how can I be sure she really needs this?? Would there be pus on the gum if the nerve is infected? Will x-rays indicate an infection that needs treatment??
Tags: minimal treatment dental
540545_tn?1377626518
The x-ray may provide an idea of how deep the filling is, how close it is to the nerve but may not necessarily provide information on whether a root canal is needed or not unless there's a sign of an abscess.

How long has the sensitivity lasted?  How long or severe is it once exposed to hot/cold?

If there was pus, it would most likely indicate the need for a root canal.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
540545_tn?1377626518
Jerome Tsang, DDSBlank
Irvine Modern Dentistry
Irvine, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now