Dental Health Expert Forum
minimal treatment options?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

minimal treatment options?
Hi. My daughter had a cavity filled and has some sensitivity to hot and cold in her tooth several weeks later. She says it is not increasing and may be decreasing.... The dentist is recommending a root canal, which I absolutely do not want.... I am going to look for someone who will explore direct pulp capping -- but even then, how can I be sure she really needs this?? Would there be pus on the gum if the nerve is infected? Will x-rays indicate an infection that needs treatment??
The x-ray may provide an idea of how deep the filling is, how close it is to the nerve but may not necessarily provide information on whether a root canal is needed or not unless there's a sign of an abscess.

How long has the sensitivity lasted?  How long or severe is it once exposed to hot/cold?

If there was pus, it would most likely indicate the need for a root canal.