Dental Health Expert Forum
missing molars braces?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

missing molars braces?
Hi I am a 21 year old female who harboured a serious fear of the dentist growing up, as a result i lost my 1st upper molars a while back.In the last 2 years my wisdom teeth have started to emerge, my upper left molar is mostly visible so too is my lower right. My lower left is slowly emerging as well however i am unable to tell where i have an upper right 3rd molar. Nevertheless I hate having spaces in my mouth ( although no one can tell) and i'm seriously considering having these spaces closed. Therefore i was wondering if it is possible to use braces to push my teeth forward thereby pushing my 2nd molars into 1st and any 3rd molars into second. I know that this process would be long and arduous and would take an extreme length of time but i don't like the thought of having fake teeth (implants) and i cant afford them at this stage anyway. Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.
Ya, its definitely an option but you would need to discuss your case with an orthodontist.  You'd need to remove any 2nd molars you have though so if they broke and the roots are still in there, they'd need to come out first.