Dental Health Expert Forum
molar extraction pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

molar extraction pain

So Monday I had a right lower molar extracted. Tuesday pain wasn't to bad but since about Wed afternoon, it is now Sat AM I have been in agony. My jaw and teeth abound the area upper and lower ach its the worst when I wake up. Last night the pain so bad I was in tears, I don't believe its dry socket cause the dentist said cold and air would hurt it which it doesn't. But the tooth was hollow so it broke when they pulled it. It is possible that there is still some tooth in there will the pain just go away eventually or should I get back to the dentist to have XRay to make sure??? Ive been taking 800mg IB and Tylenol doesn't help much I ice the area doesn't help much either...
You should contact your dentist to find out what's going on.  Normally the first few days are the worse and it gradually gets better over time.  

Is there any swelling, fever, bad taste or any other signs on infection?
Oh my goodness, I went through an extraction that broke off when it was being pulled. Went through horrible pain as he dug out what I thought was all of it.  Little did I know at that time there were several ... many ... little pieces of tooth all through. I got the tooth pulled in January, this is May, and I'm still not recovered. I refuse to go back to that dentist and can't find another to accept my insurance. I've had infection that I fought off with much persistence and much pain so PLEASE get back if you haven't. I'd be willing to bet that what you're feeling is pieces of tooth.
A related discussion, extraction was started.