Dental Health Expert Forum
molar fallout

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

molar fallout

I recently lost a back upper molar.  It was actually only a half tooth.  The other half had broken off half a year ago.  Sat, July 1, I bit something hard and it became very loose.  A few days later it was out.  I'd kept the area well irrigated since it broke.  My question is now that it's out, what are the chances of dry socket happening since it's not an "extracted" tooth?  I've been rinsing it out with salt water, at least 3 times a day for ten minutes each.  I am quite poor and do not have the advantage of dental/health care;, which is why I am consulting here.  Thank you everyone for reading.
Avatar dr m tn
Are you sure that the entire tooth is out? Getting an x-ray wouldn't be a bad idea. At this point if you haven't gotten a dry socket I don't think one is forth coming.
Avatar n tn
Do you live near a medical school where they have denistry.  Usually the services there are provided by dental students and a lot cheaper.
unless you had very advance gum disease, it is unlikely that the whole tooth fell out. the roots of the tooth are still up there most likely and need to be removed-- you need to see a dentist to have it evaluated, and also to check the rest of your teeth. It does not sound like you have health teet, if you let one break in half and left it untreated-- ie you probably have many other dental problems you may not know about-- problems potentially more serious.