Dental Health Expert Forum
nerve damage after mouth surgery

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

nerve damage after mouth surgery

I need some opinions. 2 weeks ago i went in to get my wisdom teeth removed, and everything went alright. i had a lot of pain in my mouth ,and had an EXTREMELY swollen tongue, but i figured that was normal. so i go in the following friday for my check up at the oral surgeons office and i express my concern about my tongue ( i knew it should not still be swollen at that point) and he preceeds to tell me that there has been some serious nerve damage from the surgery, and my tongue actually isnt swollen at all, the damage is just giving it the affect that it is. i also cant feel anything, or taste anything. basically my tongue is dead. and the oral surgeon told me that my tongue would probly be like that for the rest of my life. what do you think i should do?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds like the lingual nerve was damaged or traumatized during the surgery.If the doctor feels that the sensation will not return I am not sure there is anything you can really do. It is possible that the sensation will return.
You need to see a neurologist as soon as possible.In my experience, amitryptyline, gabapentin, and other cns drugs may help recover the sensation.
Hi, my son went in to have a tooth removed and he also swelled up really bad and lost movement and sensation for over a week.  I also was worried it was going to be permanent.  It finally slowing started to resolve.  He said he thinks he hit a nerve pocket when giving the injection.  Hopefully time will heal the nerve there and I would also get another opinion.  Good Luck
A related discussion, Tounge Burns after Oral Surgery was started.