Dental Health Expert Forum
nerve damage following oral surgery

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

nerve damage following oral surgery

I had my lower left wisdom tooth removed in May 2012 and I am still in constant pain. The entire left side of my mouth including the left half of my tongue are still numb. My tongue also feels swollen and it has taken a lot of practice to learn how to not bit it. The doctor told me it could take up to 9 months for the nerves to repair themselves but there has been no improvement what-so-ever. I can't taste food on that side and it burns especially if I am trying to eat something warm. It feels dead and what I do taste on that side is bad. Now he wants to remove my upper wisdom tooth on that side and give me a guard to wear at night. He said there was no way to test if there was nerve damage. Reading the other articles makes me think I need some help. I am miserable. It is 24/7. Can anyone help?
Was this tooth removed by a dentist or oral surgeon?

You may want to ask for a referral or seek the advice of a neurologist or pain specialist for the nerve damage/pain that you are experiencing. They may be able to prescribe something to help with the pain but probably not for the numbness.