Dental Health Expert Forum
nerve pain in tooth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

nerve pain in tooth
i have a pain in one of my upper back teeth, it feels like a nerve, it started last night and it is severe what would be the cause and treatment of this problem? thanks
I have no clue and I would be guessing.See your dentist asap.
I would recommend having a dentist take a look at it.  It could be anything, and without an exam or xray it would just be a wild guess.  Pain could relate to a dental abscess, grinding habit, cracked tooth, etc.  There are a bunch of things that could be causing it.
thanks for writing back... ill do that , but it has to be nerve or a root problem , ive taken pain killers but still hurts
I had some part of a filling come out in  a back molar and went to refill. Immediately after anes. wore off - that nerve pain you describe. It's been nearly 2 weeks, sedative filling and all; you touch one part of the tooth and youch. Feels like a nerve. So, was a nerve damaged? Root exposed? Dentist said tissue is healthy underneath (aside from the bad decay he refilled). Is root canal my only option?