Dental Health Expert Forum
nervous about wisdom teeth surgery tomorrow!

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I am feeling very nervous about my surgery tomorrow and wondering if it would be ok if I took a valium before bed to help me sleep. Also, I know I'm not supposed to eat or drink anything 8 hrs. before surgery, but is a Tums ok to settle my stomach beforehand? Thanks for the advice in advance.
Just don't eat 8 hrs before your procedure, don't even take tums before.
I would not take a valium tonight before the surgery without talking to the doctor who is doing the surgery. Some medications can stay in your system and interfere with the medicines he may be giving you tomorrow. I would also not have a tums in the morning either.This may sound a little silly, but some dentist get upset for liability reasons for patients not to reading their info. and taking it seriously. The dentist I work for will not sedate patients even if the parent said they only had a "sip" of water. The reason is b/c a "sip" to some people is a small glass.I would hate for you to be so nervous and not have anything and go in and they tell you they can't do it b/c you took valium or ate a tums!  Then you would have to go through it all over again! If they said NOTHING to eat or drink I would try to hang in there. Maybe you could take some with you and ask them when you get there? I guess it may be too late then. Try not to worry. I'm sure everything will be okay! I was nervous too before I had mine taken out, but everything went great! Plus, I got a little sympothy from everybody!! Good-luck!
When I had two taken out I was extemely nervous myself.

But as soon as I closed my eyes I said to myself (lets just get this done and go). Litteraly, the next second I heard "okay we're done" I did't even remember going to sleep.

Now I have two broken teeth and still have two wisdom teeth on the same side. I am going back on Tues and I admit I'm a little nervous stil even though I've been through this before.

So really nothing I say will tangibly relive your anxiety but it will really be okay.